SOLVED

Password Generation and Password Reveal are Not working

MVP

Password Generation and Password Reveal are Not working

I've enabled this flag which was disabled by default:

Show autofill signatures.

Annotates web forms with Autofill signatures as HTML attributes. Also marks password fields suitable for password generation. – Mac, Windows

#enable-show-autofill-signatures

but that didn't change anything. there isn't any other flags left related to this issue to turn on.

the reveal Icon does not appear in any password fields and also right-clicking on password fields does not offer an option to generate a strong password.

Annotation 2019-09-24 121514.png

Version 79.0.283.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

8 Replies

Hi @HotCakeX, I don't believe that this is one of our flags, so I am not surprised that it isn't making any noticeable changes in the current Microsoft Edge Canary builds.  Thanks - Elliot

Hi,
oh so it's another one of those flags slipped out. in that case please take Password Generation and Password Reveal features into consideration. thank you!
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX 

My feedback (sent using smiley button), which was basically the same text in my post, got a reply from Microsoft today:

1. Password Generator: We currently have not enabled this feature in Microsoft Edge. This Feature Flag is only used to collect information about web forms for improving Autofill experience. Enabling the same will not turn on Password Generator. We are currently working on a few solutions - although it's not possible to give an estimate of when this feature will be made available behind a flag.

2. Password Reveal: Passwords are blinded (not presented in plain text) to prevent what are known as 'shoulder surfing' attacks. The only way you can currently view them is in Settings, after due authentication (entering your OS credentials that verify it's the actual owner interested in viewing them). Sometimes, certain websites offer a 'Reveal' functionality.  

Wow. You got reply from mS. I never got any on this matter. I was afraid that we wont get any password generator and already searched for good alternative because I relying too much on Chrome generation tool. Hope it will happen soon.
Fortunately and Luckily, Microsoft Employees are very kind and active on this forum and they visit and reply to people's posts everyday :)

You can read more about this matter in here
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Articles/Autofill-Blog-2-Password-Security/m-p/963847

@HotCakeX 

Something I found in my settings a moment ago...

Annotation 2020-04-21 151624.jpg

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile found the same option here as well...

Is it suggesting passwords for you?

Haven't tried it yet....

Dennis5mile
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX 

My feedback (sent using smiley button), which was basically the same text in my post, got a reply from Microsoft today:

1. Password Generator: We currently have not enabled this feature in Microsoft Edge. This Feature Flag is only used to collect information about web forms for improving Autofill experience. Enabling the same will not turn on Password Generator. We are currently working on a few solutions - although it's not possible to give an estimate of when this feature will be made available behind a flag.

2. Password Reveal: Passwords are blinded (not presented in plain text) to prevent what are known as 'shoulder surfing' attacks. The only way you can currently view them is in Settings, after due authentication (entering your OS credentials that verify it's the actual owner interested in viewing them). Sometimes, certain websites offer a 'Reveal' functionality.  

View solution in original post