Open As Window functionality

Copper Contributor

Edge Team, I'm impressed with how stable and solid this first release is (dev channel). There is one feature from Chrome that we are depending on for the Office 365 online apps deployment in our organization- The ability to programmatically create Chrome shortcuts, with proper icons matching each web app (Excel Online, Word Online, etc), that open in individual tab-less windows.

This is just a thanks for giving us a path forward, as Edge Dev has the same launch syntax as Chrome where one can use --app="<insert URL here>" to create "open as window" shortcuts via script. The "Install app" feature, allowing the same thing thing to be accomplished as one-off cases, actually takes a click or two less than Chrome's implementation. We intend to dogfood this fully in-house, once out of beta we'll be able to move off Chrome for our Office Online deployment. This was the ONE feature that kept us from using the previous Edge version for this purpose.

1 Reply
I am really happy that we were able to help you out Brett. I am going to forward this on to the team that deals with enterprise issues, so that they are also aware of their kudos. Thank you for taking the time to install and try our latest browser. Please keep updating, and letting us know how you feel about the changes as they come.