SOLVED

Ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome - Discussion

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to have ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party sync experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. If you are a Chrome user today, you already have option available to import all your data from Chrome to have Microsoft Edge personalized with all your browsing data.

If you are still looking for ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome, please share some more details about your scenario.

1. Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two? What problem would it solve for you?
  2. Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)?
  3. How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption?
  4. Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement?

We will keep you updated as we better understand the needs of our community.

180 Replies

@Theanh0503 This is my exact situation too

@Mason425 This is a spurious argument; whatever 'Google Services' that are required to perform this  operation are ALREADY available in Edge, its just I need to manually push the button(Settings->Bookmarks->Import) . I want it automated so I dont have to push the button. 

This operation happens purely on my local machine, its basically copying a file from the Chrome folder, parsing it and then inserting the info into the Edge folder, there are no 'Google Services' involved.

This isn't asking for account sync, its got nothing to do with a 'google account', its about copying favourites between folders on your local.

@RichRooski 

Well you would need to gvie it permisson to be able to auto everytime trasnfer files. While the favorites arent' stored locally, it's inside the browser. Also privacy reason

Chrome favorites aren't stored locally. Is it?? Well that could work but you would be risky privacy. This is waht happened about the borwser thing when edge was transfering files to edge when importing without permisson. MALWARE

@Deleted 

I think browsers keep a local copy of that stuff as well as a cloud based copy which syncs PC/mobile etc, but I'm not 100% sure.

My reasoning is based on the existence of the 'Settings->Favorites->Import' menu in Edge currently, it does exactly what this feature request is asking for.

No Google sign in or app permissions required, because its all happening on the local machine.

The only change is to have a setting to do this sync automatically on application open rather than on request.

Yeah, but some people dont' like it that edge is copying files over wihtout permisson.

Since it is doing this in the background, it would been less performace and privacy. You have to give it permisson to auto do it.
I understand, then get a extenstion that does that

@RichRooski 

@RichRooski wrote:

@Mason425 This is a spurious argument; whatever 'Google Services' that are required to perform this  operation are ALREADY available in Edge, its just I need to manually push the button(Settings->Bookmarks->Import) . I want it automated so I dont have to push the button. 

This operation happens purely on my local machine, its basically copying a file from the Chrome folder, parsing it and then inserting the info into the Edge folder, there are no 'Google Services' involved.

Edge uses de-googled version of Chromium, so those services are not available.

@HotCakeX 

Hey guys, Edge dev for linux is out now. So if you have a chromebook, just use Edge and problem solved. 

@Deleted 

@HotCakeX 

Re: Ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome - Discussion

@Mathew Mirabito 

@Mathew Mirabito wrote:

@akhator

Hey Edge dev for linux is out, so if you have ot use a chromebook, you can just use edge dev on chroembook and your issues are solved. Just wait for edge linux get sync working an dyou are good to go

@akhator 

I have been a Chrome user for many years, would like to incorporate Edge, use both depending on the objective and would like to migrate away from Google solutions entirely (due to serious privacy, censorship and adopting the woke culture standards and priorities. 

Therefore, sync of bookmarks and id/pw's is a must to support/enable/promote using Edge instead of Chrome.  I am Office 365 subscriber, Windows 10 user. 

My issue in which I would like to see continuous sync between Chrome and Chromium Edge is that Edge performance on my phone is abysmal while Chrome works great, but on my computer, Edge is hands down the winner. So currently I would prefer to use Chrome on my phone, and Edge on my computer, but I need to have my bookmarks available on both devices, so I have to use the same browser on both devices unless an interbrowser data sync is developed.

If Edge on Android's performance were drastically improved, I would not need this and would just use Edge on both. As it stands, I may have to revert back to Chrome since I use web browsing on my phone almost constantly.

@BmehlingBBTS 

So the best thing to do is to send feedback trough Edge browser and ask them to update the Chromium engine in Edge mobile from version 77 to the latest version. the more people ask for the same thing, they higher priority it will have.

@akhator 

Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two?

I use chrome on my phone and edge on my computer. I bookmark sites on both platforms.

What problem would it solve for you?

Having to find bookmarks/sync bookmarks constantly whenever I add a new bookmark

Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)?

I will use this for as long as I google chrome is default browser on my phone.

How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption?

It annoys me heavily. And tempts me back to chrome.

Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement?

If I can install it on my chrome on my desktop which in turn syncs with my phone and edge then, possibly. yes.

@akhator 

1. Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two? What problem would it solve for you? Microsoft Edge on Android isn't as good as Chrome, since it doesn't support certain features (like WebAuthn). Edge also doesn't have a Linux version (yet)
  2. Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)? I want to use this for a long period.
  3. How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption? I have the issue that Chrome is better on Android, but I can't sync Microsoft Edge with Chrome, so I will need to use chrome.
  4. Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement? No, because I need it on the phone, and you should also be able to send links to your other devices.
They should make it so you add an extension to sync a Microsoft account with Chrome

@10Meisterbaelle 

@10Meisterbaelle wrote:
They should make it so you add an extension to sync a Microsoft account with Chrome

Microsoft already made an extension for passwords, which is the most important data.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/microsoft-autofill/fiedbfgcleddlbcmgdigjgdfcggjcion

I need the sync between edge from my pc to chrome on my mac (since I cant run edge on my mac) @akhator 

@MrP_Humanitarian 

@MrP_Humanitarian wrote:

I need the sync between edge from my pc to chrome on my mac (since I cant run edge on my mac)

Hi,

maybe I ask why not?

Edge supports both regular and new macs running on M1 chip.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge