SOLVED

Ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome - Discussion

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to have ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party sync experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. If you are a Chrome user today, you already have option available to import all your data from Chrome to have Microsoft Edge personalized with all your browsing data.

If you are still looking for ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome, please share some more details about your scenario.

1. Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two? What problem would it solve for you?
  2. Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)?
  3. How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption?
  4. Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement?

We will keep you updated as we better understand the needs of our community.

180 Replies

@Mathew Mirabito 

@Mathew Mirabito wrote:

@akhator, my main use case for this is that I have a Chromebook which cannot run Edge (not available in Google Play Store for the Lenovo Chromebooks), and therefore I must use Chrome.

that sounds like a Google problem to be honest. it's a fair complain, that they don't support Edge on that device.

but yeah if they added Microsoft login to their chrome browser, it'd be better.

there is no point in integrating google spyware into Edge.

Edge uses a de-googled version of Chromium, absolutely no point in adding those stuff back to the browser again.

@HotCakeX 

Re: Ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome - Discussion

@Mathew Mirabito 

@Mathew Mirabito wrote:

@akhator

Hey,

You know that edge is coming to linux soon? I know that some chromebook's support linux apps. So, I wonder if since of that you can run the linux version of edge??

I agree, it woulnd't be Microsoft Edge. Still chromimum just without all the google stuff.
Yeah, make a extenstion.
I know you can fix sync issues in the google account for chrome. Is there a way for edge to be able to detect that if you put your google account? But that wouldbe a one time thing. Or just make a extenstion to sycn
Yeah, keep Google out of this.
Well, I get why you need sync. Micorsoft is trying to make Edge the "only" browser you need. If you have sync. You dont' really use edge the whole time. If they add thsi sync, it would make people as said switch to chrome.
Yes, other chromimum browsers do the same. They just use the engine and cusotmize it out of google.
I mean, without google services
Yes, I tottaly agree with your explaination. Just focus on making edge the best and unique. If you add chrome's sync. It wouldn't make sense to have a microsoft account or chorme. They just use Chrome then. or just developing edge to be better at other operating systesm like Chrome OS if you realy need it.
Yes, yes. I upvote that. Keep Edge as Edge not Edge Chrome. I like Edge the way it is.
Yes, I used Edge legacy and new edge since I gotten my surface pro 5. I bared with it even though school uses chrome. Just make Edge your default.
Well, wait, could you just make a extension taht just stores adn sync extenstions. But not with yoru google sync. It;s own sync . Like a extenstion called Sync, that dosent' store or use the ms or google sync data. It just saves and syncs it.
Can you just ask your admins to allow edge to be installed?
Or make a general extenstion that uses a causal account. LIke signing up for a account online that stores on their database not google or edge.
Yeah. Just dont' put google into Edge.
Yeah, it dosent' make sense. If you want to use chrome and need sync. Just use chrome.
Yes, this is something I would like to see. @Mathew Mirabito
@Mathew Mirabito wrote:
@akhator

You should just add a extenstion 3rd party like xbrowsersync.

@akhator 

I don't know why I'm shocked at this rhetoric - one again, the false idea that a walled garden is better than let the people have it all.

Can we please stop with this nonsense!!!! Flame on!