SOLVED

Ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome - Discussion

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to have ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party sync experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. If you are a Chrome user today, you already have option available to import all your data from Chrome to have Microsoft Edge personalized with all your browsing data.

If you are still looking for ongoing sync between Microsoft Edge and Chrome, please share some more details about your scenario.

1. Why would you like an ongoing sync between the two? What problem would it solve for you?
  2. Do you expect to leverage this ongoing sync only for a short period of time (for instance during initial assessment of Microsoft Edge) or for long period (continue to use multiple browsers)?
  3. How would the absence of this ability change your perspective on Microsoft Edge adoption?
  4. Would the creation of a Chrome extension fulfil your requirement?

We will keep you updated as we better understand the needs of our community.

180 Replies

@Keith Davis 

@Keith Davis wrote:

@HotCakeX 

I can't speak to why others do, but mine is just a matter of workflow. More importantly, why does it matter? I'm not a fanboy for MS or Google, but I do like Google services more than MS (l use Gmail for my personal email). If I said I wanted to own 2 cars, a Ford and Chevy, why can I not own both? 

Oh alright, so it's a matter of liking a company more than the other. I thought there is some lack of feature, technical problem or reasons of that sort behind it.

@Keith Davis 

@Keith Davis wrote:

What really sucks about this conversation is it sounds like a bunch of anti-Google users. I couldn't care less about Google (or MS's) - I use the tool that works best for the job at hand.

I feel that's rude to say that.

the conversation obviously doesn't suck.

and each of us wrote legit reasons why we don't want google stuff in Microsoft Edge.

the more important question is, why google doesn't add Microsoft services to their chrome browser.

@Keith Davis 

I'm not sure everyone here is anti-Google users but they are just questioning to what the point of syncing the settings would be between the two. I think they just do not agree with or believe in Google's privacy and data practices and they are worried about what a sync between the two would entail.

That's why I think if a sync option is to be made it should be an extension that is available in the Play store that will push and pull data from a user's Microsoft Account, to avoid touching Google's services; again just my opinion - who knows if that is even a feasible option or not.

@HotCakeX 

That's my perception, which might not be yours, but it doesn't mean it's wrong. Why not add Google services to Edge, or at least give the option to do so? Why do we have to have such a siloed environment? Why can't we have both? Can we not have Coke and Pepsi in the same building, for crying out loud!! :)

@sgilder 

What about those of us that do not disagree with Google's privacy practices (or frankly just don't care)?

@Keith Davis 

Spoiler

@Keith Davis wrote:

@HotCakeX 

That's my perception, which might not be yours, but it doesn't mean it's wrong. Why not add Google services to Edge, or at least give the option to do so? Why do we have to have such a siloed environment? Why can't we have both? Can we not have Coke and Pepsi in the same building, for crying out loud!! :)

Well maybe keep your perceptions to yourself when they sound rude.

it doesn't mean it's right.

Why not add Microsoft services to chrome, or at least give the option to do so? Why do we have to have such a siloed environment.

@HotCakeX 

I disagree that it was rude - it was an observation, not an insult.

@Keith Davis 

Then give your opinion, it's your right to be able to share it. Don't let others discourage you from doing so. This is a discussion forum and Microsoft wants to know your opinion; ultimately they will decide on the best direction but gathering feedback will help guide them in a direction.

Not everyone will agree with you and that's fine but please share your ideas and reasoning nonetheless! :smile:

@Keith Davis 

@Keith Davis wrote:

What about those of us that do not disagree with Google's privacy practices (or frankly just don't care)?

Then use google services, if you don't care about any of these, no one is stopping anyone.

Google Quietly Removes "Don't Be Evil" Preface From Code of Conduct

or This

and This

How do I protect my online privacy from 'surveillance capitalism'?

@Keith Davis 

@Keith Davis wrote:

@HotCakeX 

I disagree that it was rude - it was an observation, not an insult.

I could use the F word and then when someone tell me it's rude i simply tell them "i disagree". that doesn't change anything.

@HotCakeX 

You are correct that what I call it does not change the facts, but just because you say that I am being rude, does not mean that I am being rude - that is your opinion, just like I stated in my opinion. 

@Keith Davis 

@Keith Davis wrote:

@HotCakeX 

You are correct that what I call it does not change the facts, but just because you say that I am being rude, does not mean that I am being rude - that is your opinion, just like I stated in my opinion. 

Lol okay

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

Then use google services, if you don't care about any of these, no one is stopping anyone.

or This

and This

Like I said, anti-Google. Google's practices do not stop me from using their products, nor wanting the ability to move between MS and Google products seamlessly.

@Keith Davis 

@Keith Davis wrote:

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

or This

and This

Like I said, anti-Google. Google's practices do not stop me from using their products, nor wanting the ability to move between MS and Google products seamlessly.

If caring about my privacy and security means I'm anti-googool then fine, i am. proudly.

Like you, @HotCakeX, I care about my privacy. The more control I have over what information I choose to share or not is very important to me.  Google is every bit as bad as any spyware/adware out there and I prefer to not use anything Google or Google related whenever possible.

For me, any apps that force Google on me are apps that I choose not to use if at all possible.

Granted, it's my choice, but at least I have a choice and that's what's important!

I don't really have any problems with Google, but I have always preferred Microsoft's Edge over Google's Chrome. I just trust and prefer Microsoft browsers. And with that being said, I like Microsoft browsers just as they are and have always been, not with Google features. Can't people just use one browser? I am under the impression that the people wanting the ongoing sync are using both Edge and Chrome, and more specifically, it seems like they are Chrome users just using Edge on the side without actually using the browser as their main browser. So why are people who plan to use mainly Chrome affecting what the new Edge will be like? Again I don't really have any problems with Google. I use a Google Pixel phone, use Gmail as my main email, and use Google workspaces for school (this is really only because that is what my school usually wants each assignment done on). I just don't really trust Chrome as much as Microsoft Edge. I can still easily get to any Google stuff in Edge (if I absolutely need to) without Google services being in the browser itself. But just to be clear, I like the Microsoft company and services more than Google. I really like Windows computers (in fact, I will never use another operating system), I really like Xbox, and more importantly, I trust Microsoft the most with safety. I also rather Bing over the Google search engine (which may be a controversial opinion to some people). I just use Gmail as my main email because of how it has such good cross device compatibility. I just view Microsoft as a better and more trustworthy company. Just to prove my point Google had to make a "Don't be evil" motto, and I don't particularly trust what Google does with my information. So Google has a good and bad side, but I haven't ever seen any reason not to trust Microsoft, so I prefer Microsoft as a whole. Google isn't bad but there are some areas where Google is a little sketchy, so again I am absolutely team Microsoft here. I don't hate Google, but I prefer Microsoft.

I see Microsoft as on the side of privacy and safety. I see Google as on the side of only caring about their own business and doing whatever they please with the information people trust them with. So like @HotCakeX  said, if caring about privacy and security means being anti-Google, then I will proudly say that I am anti-Google. 

I am actually very excited about where Microsoft is heading right now. If they push for more cross-device compatibility then I might finally be able to move away from Google. If Microsoft would improve the free online stuff for Office, then I will be very happy to move away from Google work spaces. If Microsoft had an online based email thing like Yahoo and Google, then I would gladly leave Google behind in the dust. My school district might even switch over to Microsoft services rather than Gmail and Google work spaces. Cross-device compatibility is very important, and unfortunately Google is at the top of that mountain, so for now I will have to use Gmail and Google Work Spaces.

When I say Google Work Spaces, I mean Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets, etc.

In this whole thing, I absolutely agree with @HotCakeX about the Google Services added to Edge. It must not happen! Many people use Edge as an escape from the Google privacy evils! If you want Google Services then go use Chrome! We can't have Google loyal people coming in and destroying all that Edge is like a virus! Everyone can have a difference of opinion, but I simply beg that Edge just stays as it was and not lose all that it stood for as it faces this upgrade. Just please stop mixing Edge and Chrome together! We already have a Chrome that Edge users don't want. If we did want Chrome, we wouldn't be using Edge. Don't make a new Chrome that just looks like Edge! I am so tired of this debate continuing! Again, Edge is Edge, and Chrome is Chrome! PLEASE DO NOT MIX THE TWO TOGETHER!!

Edge is a Microsoft browser and should continue to just be a Microsoft browser with Microsoft services!

I'm gonna be 100% true, the only reason i have a Google account is for YouTube, watching videos, subscriptions list, and recommendations

"If Microsoft had an online based email thing like Yahoo and Google,"
Microsoft Outlook at Outlook.com

it's more feature rich than Gmail or yahoo.