Occasional blank screen on M1 Macs?

Copper Contributor

I'm running Edge Dev (90.0.782.0) on a new M1 MacBook Pro, and it works great — with one annoying exception.

Every so often — sometimes maybe two hours apart, but sometimes every 10-20 minutes or so — all open Edge browser windows just go blank. Not just the rendering window — the tabs, the address bar, everything other than the macOS stoplight widgets at top left.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 10.04.02 AM.png

Sometimes it stays blank for only 3 or 4 seconds, but sometimes for 30 seconds or more. Then, with no intervention on my part, it comes back. The browser windows are "live" during the blanking — e.g., if I press command-t on my keyboard while it's blank, I'll have a new tab open when it returns.

I haven't been able to connect the behavior to any particular action on my part, and it persists across multiple Edge and Mac restarts. Any ideas?

2 Replies
Hi,
not sure what are the shortcuts for bringing up feedback on Edge Mac but when it happens again, try doing that and if that window is visible, go to attachments => recreate my problem and press start recording, let it keep recording during and after that problem is gone and then stop, explain what happened and send it.
(again not sure if these recording features are available on Mac, would be good if someone could confirm that)

i think that's the best way to send a useful feedback for this problem. since there is no feedback hub on Mac to capture Edge behavior externally.

as for a fix, I'd suggest reinstalling Edge Dev (make sure sync is on so you don't lose anything) and if asked during uninstall, choose to delete user data.

hope that helps
by the way, does it happen on Edge stable on Mac too?

Just to circle back on this — a month later this is still happening. The first hour-plus of using the browser is usually okay — but eventually the weird blanking I described comes back, with increasing frequency until I restart the browser.

It originally showed up on an M1 Mac in Edge Dev, but it also happens in Edge Stable and on a non-M1 iMac. It's a real pain, honestly. Is no one else having this problem?