Now Turns On

Silver Contributor

Sync Collections now can be turned on in Canary

Now On.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

33 Replies
Um it could be turned on since Weeks ago but because of the fact that it was and it still is part of the controlled feature roll out, you are just seeing it now.
I know it's very bad and confusing experience..not having the same access to the same set of features even when two users are using the same channel :(

@HotCakeX Is Collections sync supposed to work now, though? A couple of weeks ago it was in fact working (and really fast too), even though Favorites sync was disabled. Today, Collections no longer sync in latest Canary.

And of course, Favorites are not syncing either. Is the browser going to launch on Jan 15 with all sync disabled? That would raise a few eyebrows.

@dvdwnd 

@dvdwnd wrote:

@HotCakeX Is Collections sync supposed to work now, though? A couple of weeks ago it was in fact working (and really fast too), even though Favorites sync was disabled. Today, Collections no longer sync in latest Canary.

And of course, Favorites are not syncing either. Is the browser going to launch on Jan 15 with all sync disabled? That would raise a few eyebrows.

That's right, the last thing Microsoft wants is bad first impression, because first impressions are important. not everyone are enthusiasts like us, majority of people want something to just work properly and they won't just wait for it to get good, they just switch browser. seen it lots of times by my eyes.

collection and collection sync is a big no for the first stable release, version 79.

but favorite syncing, which has been available since launch, must work.

I don't currently have Beta channel installed, but as far as i know, the favorite sync problem is only affecting Dev and Canary channels. the Beta (RC) channel shouldn't be affected by it.

if you have Beta please try it

@HotCakeX Previously I only had the Beta on one PC, but I installed it on a second so I could see that sync is in fact working quite well there. After years of sync fiasco in Edge, it's quite comforting to see it working, although there are imperfections. Why, for instance, is it still disabled in the other channels?

I also noticed that the Tabs Set Aside folder wasn't syncing. Neither its contents nor its location relative other folders. The same goes for Favorites I move out of the Tabs Set Aside folder - they stay on the browser they were created on.

Edge has a lot to prove before I rely on it for storing links again, so every little thing makes me hesitate.

Microsoft must be testing something new for favorites syncing in Edge and they are doing it on Dev and Canary channels while keeping Beta channel stable until the experiments are finished and the result is ready and stable enough to be pushed to lower channels like Beta.

Yeah Edge classic had its own sync servers and logic, they are creating the sync from the ground up for the new Edge

@HotCakeX Heh, I just upgraded the Canary version (81.0.369.0) and got all of my hundreds of doubles back - both on Canary and Beta. Stuff I deleted long ago is now back. There is no sign of any attempt to merge doubles, as was mentioned in a blog post, but I have to resort to an extension to clean this up, but why should I bother? Deleted Favorites have always come back and multiplied so far, and why should it be different this time?

It's 2019 and implementing Favorites sync is still a Hard Computer Science Problem.

And there goes all hope that this mess will be fixed by January 15.

Canary and Dev have problem with sync, but Beta should be good.
Oh don't mix Beta and the other 2 channels, you will get bad results.. :o

fortunately they put it on the list
"Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated"
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-December-17/m-p/1075891

but with holidays, christmas everything coming up, i don't know how there will be enough time to fix this in December

anyway, use this extension to get rid of your duplicates automatically
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bookmarks-clean-up/oncbjlgldmiagjophlhobkogeladjijl

@Drew1903 

I posted about collections being available a month ago on this post here .

Annotation 2019-12-20 151400.jpg

Still have it today...

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile Has sync been working for you all this time, though? I also have the little blue check mark, sync was working for a while, but no more.

clipboard_image_0.png

Controlled feature roll out, not available for everyone..
even now after 1 month, it sometimes turns off for me when connecting to VPN.

@HotCakeX I guess I "crossed the beams" long ago, since I only have a single MS account for testing this kind of stuff.

As things are looking, it would take a Christmas miracle for New Edge not to launch in a half-finished, half-broken state.

Me too,
Yeah, the new Edge could definitely use a couple more months in the experimental channels before it's released to stable channel.

@Drew1903 Ahhhh! Thank you so much for noticing! We have turned this feature back on in our Canary channel, but are still working on bringing this to our Dev channel. I'm sure you're used to this broken record phrase, but sync is absolutely our top priority right now.

If there's anyone in here who is currently on Dev, please sign out of your browser and sign back in. Let me know if you see favorites sync enabled under ... > Settings > Profiles > Sync

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi @MissyQ thanks for the good news,

so favorite sync is back up, does it mean that the problems mentioned in here:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-December-17/m-p/1070731

Are fixed now?

"Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated" - planned for December

@MissyQ The sync options are there and enabled alright, but nothing is working better than before you disabled sync. I've got all three channels installed on 2 PCs (Dev only on 1), and can see Canary and Beta sort-of syncing the same set of Favorites, but Dev isn't syncing any. Collections have stopped syncing completely.

However, all the problems that caused you to halt sync are still there: Ever increasing amount of duplicates, deleted Favorites reappearing, some Favorites not syncing at all etc. It looked better for a while when I only had the Beta channel syncing with itself between two PCs, but everything went back to "normal" when the Canary channel updated just now.

So, can we have some information on what is going on?

Are you talking about Fav sync? Yeah it has been on for a bit now, was off, but then back on, but not totally sure how long, but I noticed it a few days or so ago that it was on......

Dennis5mile

@HotCakeX Yes, those two items in particular should be resolved, but I see in a follow up comment above that we may still have things to sort out.

@dvdwnd Appreciate you following up here! Have you signed out and signed back into the browsers? If you have, try clearing out the duplicates that you see in only one of the browsers. That should clear up what you're seeing after syncing again, but if it's not I want to hand that over to the right people. :)

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@MissyQ I get a bit worried when I hear that you think you've fixed the duplication problem. This is what I did:

• Signed out of all 5 installs (same MS account, 2*(Can+Beta) + 1 * Dev)
  • Signed in on one Canary again.
  • Deleted hundreds of duplicates using the extension suggested by @HotCakeX, as I've done many times now.
  • Signed in on one Beta install - duplicates now reappear on Canary, and remain on Beta.
  • Signed in on the remaining installs - all duplicates are still there. Collections not syncing between the two Canary installs.
  • While signed in everywhere, deleted all duplicates again with the extension on one of the Canary installs.
  • The other 4 installs now sync (!) and have almost the same set of Favorites.
  • Tried signing out/in again - Favorites stay the same (for now).

Now, there is no trace of the duplicate deletion feature that was mentioned in the blog post - I have to use a tool to delete them. We'll see if this lasts, because I had all duplicates reappear yesterday when I installed a new Beta.

To sum up:

• Good: Favorites are syncing across all channels, and pretty fast too.
  • Bad: Duplicates must be removed manually, and display order of Favorites is slightly different between installs. Tabs set aside and Collections don't sync at all.

After literally years of Edge sync woes, it will take some time of glitch-free use before I definitely call this "fixed". Maybe it is, or maybe I'll have all duplicates appear once more. Fingers crossed!

Tabs set Aside don't sync?
but that feature isn't even on the new Edge (Chromium) to begin with...

Thanks for testing the favorite syncing, so basically it's all the same as they were 5-6 months ago..