(Non English) Edge crashing reliably when downloading exe files

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am having a problem with Edge crashing reliably when downloading exe files which are above a certain size.

Versions: 81.0.416.58‏ (latest stable),  84.0.488.1 (latest dev)

Locale: Hebrew

Anti Virus: Windows Defender

Extensions: none

P.S. I have crash dumps. It's a pity that MS don't make PDB symbol files (and source code) publicly available... I might have tried diagnosing the issue myself...

7 Replies
Above what size exactly?

@HotCakeX I cannot say exactly because I haven't done extensive testing with different file sizes. But I can say that a 10 mb seems to already trigger the crash. (I don't know if the filesize is the determining factor or the length of time the download takes.)

Bump...

Guys, what's going on?!?
This is a totally reproducible reliable crash on ALL versions regardless of extensions, antivurus, etc.
Just change the browser language to Hebrew and try downloading an EXE file,
All my Israeli acquaintances are complaining of the same issue.
Wake up!

How can I call more attention to this?

@yzahn Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our devs automatically receive a notification when a crash occurs, but I would like to help do some more troubleshooting. Here are a couple questions for you:

1. Can you describe exactly what happens during the crash? (Ie, the screen goes blank, all windows/tabs close, you receive an error first, etc.)
  2. Do you know if there was a certain time or version when the crashes started, or have you always seen this behavior when downloading large files on Microsoft Edge?
  3. Have you had a chance to submit detailed feedback and diagnostics through the browser (Shift+Alt+I) yet? I understand that you likely can't do this during/immediately after the crash, but it would help our devs rule out other issues. If you'd like to ensure that we can get it to the team ASAP, feel free to send me a DM and I can help 
  4. Does this happen with specific sites (especially ones that could be considered "unsafe") or do use the behavior in a variety of contexts?
  5. If you have access to multiple machines, do you see the same problem across them?

Thank you,

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deletedthanks for the reply

To answer your questions:

1. When I say crash I mean a literal crash, i.e. an uncaught exception generating a dump file. The actual exception code is 0xc00000fd - STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW.
  2. I don't know which version this started in. The problem persists in current stable and dev.
  3. I did submit a complaint via the browser also.
  4. No.
  5. I only use 1 machine but many of my acquaintances report the same issue

@yzahn Thanks for the quick response, that was helpful. We take performance issues very seriously, and if you're comfortable with it, I can ask the team to investigate your specific diagnostics. If that's something you'd be interested in, feel free to send me a DM, and we can work out the next steps.

Fawkes (they/them)

UPDATE: the team has created a bug using your feedback, and is looking into it now. Thanks again for reporting this to us! We'll let you know if/when we have any further updates.

Fawkes (they/them)