New Web Widget in Edge Canary and Dev - controlled feature rollout

MVP
20 Replies
My opinion:
It's not bad, but needs more features to be useful

1. stay on top
2. be able to launch it without opening the browser
3. don't show an icon in the taskbar to feel like we are just using a regular Edge window
4. don't open the browser when we search something, because then what's the point of using this new widget, Windows each would open the Edge window too.
5. don't open the browser when we click on show more in the widget, instead load the content right in the same widget window.

I like the ability to react to news pieces.
@HotCakeX Still waiting for it... Gosh, when will the CFR's stop. Pretty please, Microsoft.

@HotCakeX Can you please provide some more details about the widget? It looks like the new Web widget brings Bing search and personalized news feed to the desktop, right? How does it work when you reboot your PC? Do you have to manually launch the widget or it show up automatically?

PS: A GIF would be helpful in understanding its functionality. Thanks :)

Hi,
I would record a video as I always do but there are too much personal info so I intentionally took some pictures instead :)
you have to launch it manually for now, it's not finished so there are room for improvements.

everything you click on, a tab in Edge browser opens, I find this very annoying because I don't just want to have bunch of links, I actually want to do the search in the widget and read the news without leaving there.
WOW!! I heard about it and it just looks amazing!! That is a really way of doing it, for when it is not opened in tskbar, show a weather icon with the teampareu or soemthing.

Cna't wait for this to come to me and I do wish Micorsoft would just stop experimenting on Stable users, windows isnt' stable anymore :(
this has nothing to do with Windows or Edge stable.
What you mean? Oh it's for insider windows. Opps
WOWOWOOW!!! That is so amazing, and it is so fluently designed!! Love the colors and everything! That is genuinely nice. That is the best thing in Windows so far. Haven't been on a instider windows build since last year since I was told multiple times by surface agents, it is not that good for the system since of bugs. Anyways, I like to be suprised

Windows insider Dev only, not yet for stable
Okay, I understand. When to stable?
Yeah well, only enthusiasts should use it that are willing to cope with the bugs, most of the bugs are not bad, only on very rare occasions they break something important which usually gets fixed on the next build
Yeah, I am a fan of Windows. Thanks anyways.
"Okay, I understand. When to stable?"
nobody knows really, builds in Dev are not tied to any specific release
Thanks for your prompt response. I understand that you can't record the video, but can you provide some details about it. I have a couple of questions if you have time to answer them.

1. If we launch the Web widget in the browser, it will instantly appear on the desktop (If I am correct)? What is its exact location (like somewhere around the taskbar or)??

2. What is the version of your Canary and Dev builds?

3. What is the difference between the Dashboard and Vertical layout in the Widget's settings?

Thanks and keep up the good work. :)

@HotCakeX I am unable to see this feature in the "new tab page" section of the browser settings. I can only see ' preload page' option.

How long will it take for this feature to roll out to everyone? I'm on the latest Version 90.0.782.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit). 

@Rabia92 

Spoiler

@Rabia92 wrote:
Thanks for your prompt response. I understand that you can't record the video, but can you provide some details about it. I have a couple of questions if you have time to answer them.

1. If we launch the Web widget in the browser, it will instantly appear on the desktop (If I am correct)? What is its exact location (like somewhere around the taskbar or)??

2. What is the version of your Canary and Dev builds?

3. What is the difference between the Dashboard and Vertical layout in the Widget's settings?

Thanks and keep up the good work. :)

1. yes if you launch it, it i will immediately appear on the desktop, for me it's usually at the right side of the screen.

2. I use the latest canary

3. the dashboard or horizontal view is just horizontal, vertical shows the content vertically :)