New Way to Submit Feedback in Microsoft Edge

Bronze Contributor

There are three ways to submit Feedback directly to Microsoft Edge team:

1) Send feedback through Feedback option in Microsoft Edge , which is fast and convenience but normally we won't see how well our feedback has been evaluated.

2) Submit feedback through Feedback Hub app in Windows 10 which is easy and cool but to do that we need to have access to Windows 10 device.

3) Share feedback using this discussion and this community , but the problem is there are so many discussion and sometimes it is hard to track what happens to our original idea and we don't have ability of upvote here.

Therefore, I suggest we need a platform similar to UserVoice , so we could share feature request and more concentrate on Feedback rather than discussion. If Feedback Hub was web-based, it would have been nice to share feedback and such method give us ability to keep track on status of submitted feedback.

27 Replies

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

@Reza_Ameri-Archived wrote:

There are three ways to submit Feedback directly to Microsoft Edge team:

1) Send feedback through Feedback option in Microsoft Edge , which is fast and convenience but normally we won't see how well our feedback has been evaluated.

2) Submit feedback through Feedback Hub app in Windows 10 which is easy and cool but to do that we need to have access to Windows 10 device.

3) Share feedback using this discussion and this community , but the problem is there are so many discussion and sometimes it is hard to track what happens to our original idea and we don't have ability of upvote here.

Therefore, I suggest we need a platform similar to UserVoice , so we could share feature request and more concentrate on Feedback rather than discussion. If Feedback Hub was web-based, it would have been nice to share feedback and such method give us ability to keep track on status of submitted feedback.

Hi,

I have to disagree because That's Not true.

first of all there is a 4th way which is here:

https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1. Sending feedback using the feedback button on the browser is the best and preferred way of developers, because it helps them track the feedbacks properly in their internal data base. they have mentioned it several times in the forum.

And of course you can see how your feedback is being evaluated. when you send a feedback, you receive an automated Email saying that your feedback is successfully received. then once they work on your feedback you receive another email with more information. once your feedback is implemented, you receive yet another email about the feedback, and saying thank you because you helped make Edge better.

also sending feedback using the feedback button on the browser has the ability record problem in Edge which collections additional information, attaching them to the user feedback and sending more data that helps identify and solve the problem.

2. sending Feedback through feedback hub app is most suitable for Edge stable only.

3. in this forum there is like which is = upvote. they're basically the same thing. also developers usually visit this Community everyday, replying to people, taking feedbacks personally from users and more. but still the preferred way is to use the feedback button on the browser.

Feedback hub app becoming a web based platform, like a PWA, won't help much.

because:

1. Feedback hub app needs to be installed and integrated inside the OS in order to be able to record, create and send meaningful diagnostic and telemetry data along with the user feedback. I'm talking about the problem recording feature of Feedback hub app.
  2. also there is no shortage of Windows 10 users. there are more than 1 Billions out there.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived@HotCakeX 

I agree both of you.

We need a new, genuin, easy to use and, most important, trackable way to submit feedback/issues. 

And yes, Feedback Hub won't be a suitable solution. 

What we really miss and need is a Public Issue Tracker like https://bugs.chromium.org/

Well, although it's not capable to collect and send telemetric data, it works. I reported lots of issues within the last years there, and every one either got solved or at least explained why it's not possible to implement or has to be abandoned.

Plus it helps to stay update on the staus of bug resolving and prevent multiple feedbacks on the same issue. 

So please upvote the Public Issue Tracker in the January survey: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2116592

Thanks

Trackable? the Feedback button on the browser is trackable.
not publicly, but privately, using Emails.

there is no reason for it to be public. in fact, developers want to see how many people submit the same feedback (problem or suggestion) to decide whether a feature is popular enough to be implemented, and in case of a problem, more data of the similar problem/bug will help them find and fix the problem faster and easier.

@HotCakeXas you mention using the current methods, you will receive email and response. Actually such method is good for general public where we send few feedback and see they are work. But if you are active feedback sender, you will have to search through your email with tons of feedback. 

For example, I also shared some feedback in this forum and because there were reply from others who shared their opinions (it is hard for me to find what is status of feedback and I need to browse through to find out official reply from Microsoft team. However, platforms like Feedback Hub or uservoice has ability to merge feedback , upvote and we see status like under consideration, implemented ,etc. Microsoft has such thing internally but we need also professional view , so if I want to say how many feedback and bug I sent to Microsoft Edge team and what are their status , I am unable to do it easily using Feedback option in Microsoft Edge and this forum and I need to search through this forum and my email.

@Neon01add to what you mention, take a look at Microsoft Edge Developer:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/status/ 

I am looking for something like this one for feedbacks to see list and status but one part where we could login with Microsoft Account and submit feedback and see trace of our feedback and also Microsoft Edge team could merge feedbacks and see nice view of platform progress for non-developer feedbacks too.

@HotCakeX I think some feedback would get more support if other people realise that it would indeed be a good idea. For example I suggested to have install as an app to be able to handle tabs on its own. As it is if you click on a link that needs to open additional tabs it open inside Edge instead of the webapp. Most people may not even realise they can use installed as an app, and perhaps how good it would be to have tabs in them as well

A topic for that would also educate people in my opinion :)

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

@HotCakeXas you mention using the current methods, you will receive email and response. Actually such method is good for general public where we send few feedback and see they are work. But if you are active feedback sender, you will have to search through your email with tons of feedback. 

For example, I also shared some feedback in this forum and because there were reply from others who shared their opinions (it is hard for me to find what is status of feedback and I need to browse through to find out official reply from Microsoft team. However, platforms like Feedback Hub or uservoice has ability to merge feedback , upvote and we see status like under consideration, implemented ,etc. Microsoft has such thing internally but we need also professional view , so if I want to say how many feedback and bug I sent to Microsoft Edge team and what are their status , I am unable to do it easily using Feedback option in Microsoft Edge and this forum and I need to search through this forum and my email.

a bug tracker would need a search too. there would be thousands of feedbacks, you won't be seeing all of them in the home page.

it will be same as Email and Community. actually communities like this is more user friendly, there are tags, advanced search functions and direct interaction with developers.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

@Neon01add to what you mention, take a look at Microsoft Edge Developer:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/status/ 

I am looking for something like this one for feedbacks to see list and status but one part where we could login with Microsoft Account and submit feedback and see trace of our feedback and also Microsoft Edge team could merge feedbacks and see nice view of platform progress for non-developer feedbacks too.

Look, there are different ways to handle it. not everyone need to have a bug tracker.

not every feedback necessarily need to be tracked by the user every step of the way.

you send a feedback, Edge developers receive it, they categorize it internally, if the number of received feedbacks for a specific request is adequate, they will add it to the top feedbacks list

https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback

and that is trackable, very detailed actually with exact dates.

the rest of the feedbacks that are problems should just be sent, Microsoft indexes them internally to fix them.

@AlexB 

Spoiler

@AlexB wrote:

@HotCakeX I think some feedback would get more support if other people realise that it would indeed be a good idea. For example I suggested to have install as an app to be able to handle tabs on its own. As it is if you click on a link that needs to open additional tabs it open inside Edge instead of the webapp. Most people may not even realise they can use installed as an app, and perhaps how good it would be to have tabs in them as well

A topic for that would also educate people in my opinion :)

sure, you can create a topic on the community and people will see it. search engines also index the posts in this community too so more chance for users to view it. there is no limitation in it.

more people will view it, the post will get many likes, developers will see it and index it internally. people will also send it as feedbacks through browser feedback button, trough online form and by commenting on the post and that's it :)

That's what we've been doing for 1 year now

@HotCakeX, let me explain what I mean in details. So let say what I want and I have seen in other bug and feedback tracker, I could login and submit feedback and also search through feedback of others. Then when I login, I will see list of my feedbacks and status and if they are similarity, I see it has been merge and its status. 

For some users, they might not want to track specific feedback but for other like myself, it is important to track feedback. This discussion forum is good for discussion but is not very productive to track feedback and we don't have thing like login and see list of feedback. There are list of discussions which might not directly point to feedback.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

@HotCakeX, let me explain what I mean in details. So let say what I want and I have seen in other bug and feedback tracker, I could login and submit feedback and also search through feedback of others. Then when I login, I will see list of my feedbacks and status and if they are similarity, I see it has been merge and its status. 

For some users, they might not want to track specific feedback but for other like myself, it is important to track feedback. This discussion forum is good for discussion but is not very productive to track feedback and we don't have thing like login and see list of feedback. There are list of discussions which might not directly point to feedback.

Well use the Feedback button in browser and get follow up Emails.

again, as devs said, the preferred way is to use the Feedback button on the browser. they do track bugs and feedback internally. there is no necessity to track them publicly.

You can do this:

create a rule in your Email provider, to automatically put all of the Emails you receive from "edgefbk@microsoft.com" to a specific folder or Flag them automatically for you to search for them easily.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

"the way we choose what to work on is completely manual, but the number of people requesting something (or if it's a bug, affected by something) is a major factor in prioritizing the work. And while it's great to have people chatting here about what they want in general, if there's a specific feature they're wanting or bug they're reporting, sending in-product feedback is the best way to make sure we get an accurate count. "

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-416-3-is-live/m-p/1175...

@HotCakeX Me as a developer myself, web one, i want to share feedback regarding some issues. For example i'm having issues with a bug of chromium from november-december https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1049982
I didn't had a direct way of going through a git repo and post an issue there where i could see the status and if other people have issues with it, or if there is a way to handle that. Right now the issue has been fixed in chromium and in the later added bug on angular https://github.com/angular/angular/issues/35214, but i cannot see if it has been resolved in edge chromium also because their entire list of fixes doesn't include "reduce" word. I don't know if it's gonna be resolved and when.
Also, right now i'm having issue only in edge chromium with the fact that when i open the developer tools, the app goes offline and i need to refresh it. Also the button for refresh get's glitched above the developer tools. I can send a feedback, but not many information inthere.
This is quite stupid and i don't like it at all. Me as a developer i need to know if the workaround for the chromium bug can be removed from production app or just leave it there for maybe 2years until i know exactly no one will encounter it, cause trust me....it breaks the app entirely.
You may be here for the technology and try to defend them cause feedback is great, but i'm here as a developer and trust me, current situation is not great at all.
https://github.com/microsoft/TypeScript/issues Typescript
https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues Visual studio code
These are tools used by me where i can go and see if there is an issue reported. Of course, the title of this is regarding feedback and i am talking about issues entirely, but i got here by trying to report an issue. I don't care about a long long list of feedback regarding a stupid pdf color.

To sum it up, what you want is to know when an issue gets fixed, instead of the issue getting fixed and you don't get notifications about it.

"Also the button for refresh get's glitched above the developer tools. I can send a feedback, but not many information inthere."

How is the browser feedback button that sends additional diagnostic data and allows you to attach 25MB of any file you want, plus screenshot, not a good way?
What is a good way then that allows more data to be uploaded?

@HotCakeX , this is actually subjective and well let say I am on someone's PC and I would like post feedback quickly without bother to login and so on. Feedback option is the best.

However, the tracking of feedback is still my request. I am fully aware of creating email rule and so on, but they are not very user friendly as feedback tracking tools. I shared my idea and you and others also add comments which are very valuable and I would like to thank you for that. Let say if anyone from Microsoft Edge team would comment on this.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

@HotCakeX , this is actually subjective and well let say I am on someone's PC and I would like post feedback quickly without bother to login and so on. Feedback option is the best.

However, the tracking of feedback is still my request. I am fully aware of creating email rule and so on, but they are not very user friendly as feedback tracking tools. I shared my idea and you and others also add comments which are very valuable and I would like to thank you for that. Let say if anyone from Microsoft Edge team would comment on this.

Sure, we said what had to be said, let's see what's Edge team's take on this.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Hi!!

I would really want Edge surf to be on Mobile as well. Since, I have some friends that want to play edge surf on chromebook but only can download mobile version of Edge. So, edge surf on mobile would be cool as well since Chrome has dino on mobile as well. I tried to go to edge://surf on mobile but it didn't work. Also, in the mobile app , there wasn't a 3 lines to change apprence on new tab. It was just the microsoft logo

Hi there, it is a very great suggestion, can you send feedback through Microsoft Edge mobile app and can you open a new conversation about this matter as this conversation was opened for another discussion.

@Deleted 

You have to send all these feedbacks through Feedback option in Microsoft Edge.