New Tab go to home page

Copper Contributor

There should be an option for when opening a new tab it just goes to your home page instead of whatever that built in "New Tab Page" is. You have the option to start the program with a custom home page, why not a way to go to a custom page, or just your home page, when you open a new tab?

11 Replies

@Dan203 

Dan,

We have been asking for the ability to set a URL on NTP since April.  Whether it be the same as ones Home page or another page, as long as the User can pick it.  Would be great to have.

On the bright side, at least we have the daily photo back again :lol:

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 Think I found a slight workaround. You can change your home button to a custom URL, and whenever you need a new tab, Ctrl click the home icon. Probably not worth the hassle, but if someone feels that they want it right now, here's an option.

@cjc2112 

That's an idea, sure.  But, it would not help towards what you're wanting if opening from the taskbar, jumplist or start; only the Home button would do it using an, already, open browser window.  And, actually, can do it, now, already.  Since the Home button IS ones Home page, if it is hit with the middle (3rd) mouse button (its wheel) that will open a New Page which, will, indeed, be the Home page, again.

Ever since April we've been saying it's not consistent if the NTP doesn't match the Home page. Let alone people wanting to customize it to whatever page or site.  Alas, still, cannot.  Send the request to Feedback. Building & modifying isn't stopping.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 Like I said, It's a workaround if you don't want to wait for them to add it.

That's true, this has been asked numerous times as well by many others

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:

We have been asking for the ability to set a URL on NTP since April.  Whether it be the same as ones Home page or another page, as long as the User can pick it.  Would be great to have.

The home page idea @cjc2112 mentioned is actually good.

also not sure how bing pics are relative here but in January, according to top feedbacks list, we should be able to have the ability to set any pic we want for NTP, not just daily bing pic.

So the whole reason this isn’t an option is because they want us to use Bing? :rolleyes:

Are there any extensions out there that do this? I remember years ago FireFox had a similar issue and I used an extension called like "new tab home page" that would simply load your home page whenever you opened a new tab. That's all I really need here.

The ctrl+click of the home button is an ok alternative but I'm so use to pressing ctrl+t that it'll be hard to change that behavior. 

You're right, that could be the case,
there are of course extensions to give you what you want, I just tried this on Edge and it works fine
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/new-tab-redirect/icpgjfneehieebagbmdbhnlpiopdcmna

you can set a custom URL in the extension option so every new tab you open will be redirected to it

@Dan203 

2.png

1.png

Edge might disable the extension after you install it, if that happens just go here: edge://extensions/

and manually enable it again :)

@HotCakeX thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a try

Cool, you're welcome!