SOLVED

New post web-app install screen

MVP

gfgdf.png

Edge Version 90.0.808.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

the new flag was added today to this version.

Post-Install Web Apps Permissions

Show permissions dialog when a Web App is launched after install. – Mac, Windows, Linux

#edge-webapp-permissions-menu

4 Replies
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution
Thanks for calling this out @HotCakeX. It is highly likely this dialog will be changing quite a bit in the coming days. You will notice you get an extra prompt to Pin to Start and also that Pin to Taskbar actually launches the site in a browser tab. Neither of these is the behavior we want, but they are due to limitations in the Windows API calls. We are working with them to improve this.

@johnjansen 

@johnjansen wrote:
Thanks for calling this out @HotCakeX. It is highly likely this dialog will be changing quite a bit in the coming days. You will notice you get an extra prompt to Pin to Start and also that Pin to Taskbar actually launches the site in a browser tab. Neither of these is the behavior we want, but they are due to limitations in the Windows API calls. We are working with them to improve this.

Of course, 

I hope those limitations get resolved too,

a feedback for this new prompt that I hope will include in the future changes, is to change "allow app to" to "Pin this app to"

and the options below it can be "Taskbar, Start menu and Desktop.

the word "allow" makes me feel like the app has permanent permission to Pin itself to the Start menu and Taskbar whenever it wants, even if i remove it. (not sure if it's actually what you want to happen)

and also the Desktop option would be helpful.

one more thing if i may add,

so I had my Twitter PWA (Edge canary) open, then I updated Edge stable to the latest version (Version 88.0.705.81), then I pressed the restart button and I saw my Twitter PWA from Edge canary getting closed as well.

I can't reproduce it again on my system since the update is already applied, but just wanted to see if you're aware of this, and if  necessary, I can try to reproduce this on a VM.

Yeah, we are aware of the issue with PWAs getting closed as well. We are doing work to make that better, but it is a lot of work so it is going to take a little while to complete. Thanks for making sure.
Anytime, and that's good to know. Thanks
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

View solution in original post