New Improvements to Edge settings - smart merge (new tab page, home, startup)

MVP

Microsoft Edge Version 90.0.808.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

New:

new.png

Old - How it looked before:

Spoiler
old1.png

old2.png

So what has happened is that these 2 settings pages:

1. edge://settings/newTabPage
  2. edge://settings/onStartup

have been merged into one:

1.  edge://settings/startHomeNTP  (Start, home, and new tabs)

a very smart and good move to optimize free space and organize options more efficiently.

Another change in settings: edge://settings/appearance

selecting "set button URL" takes you to the newly merged settings page.

New:

nneww.png

Old:

Spoiler
oold.png

As always, remember changes in insider channels may follow the controlled feature rollouts plan.

15 Replies
Glad to see you like the new layout! This should also make it clearer what exactly is being changed/set and reduce confusion from folks who set their Home page URL expecting the New Tab Page to change.

@tistou 

@tistou wrote:

@HotCakeX 

I don't have this in Canary .809

Didn't you read the post?...

"As always, remember changes in insider channels may follow the controlled feature rollouts plan."

@Alexandra-R 

@Alexandra-R wrote:
Glad to see you like the new layout! This should also make it clearer what exactly is being changed/set and reduce confusion from folks who set their Home page URL expecting the New Tab Page to change.

Yes, when they see these similar options in one page it should be easier to understand them.

It's a pity that in the "New tab page" section there still isn't an option to choose a blank tab, or to choose a custom homepage. Users shouldn't have to require an extension just to avoid this...
And since the time that we ask to be able to choose a URL

@dftf-wip 

@dftf-wip wrote:
It's a pity that in the "New tab page" section there still isn't an option to choose a blank tab, or to choose a custom homepage. Users shouldn't have to require an extension just to avoid this...

NTP URL can be set via group policy:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#newtabpagelocation

Custom home page can be set in the settings, shown in the post above.

also extensions aren't bad, they are optional modules people can add/remove on-demand.

Group Policy isn't something your average-user would mess-around with though, nor is it available on Windows 10 Core (aka Windows 10 Home).

Not everyone wants to see Microsoft's built-in page on a new tab, and users should not be expected to have to find an add-on or extension to add functionality that really should be there by-default.

In Internet Explorer 11, users can choose what they want on a new tab page by changing the "When a new tab is opened, open:" dropdown with choices if "The new tab page with my news feed", "A blank page", "The new tab page" and "Your first home page".

Is it not unreasonable to expect Edge could offer something IE11 currently does?

@HotCakeX 

Spoiler
@HotCakeX wrote:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#newtabpagelocation

also extensions aren't bad, they are optional modules people can add/remove on-demand.

Did you read the link you are posting ?

This policy is available only on Windows instances that are joined to a Microsoft Active Directory domain, Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise instances that enrolled for device management, or macOS instances that are that are managed via MDM or joined to a domain via MCX.

these options being available since almost the beginning of Edge Chromium

And does not work with our Windows 10 (Home, Pro)

@dftf-wip 

Spoiler

@dftf-wip wrote:
Group Policy isn't something your average-user would mess-around with though, nor is it available on Windows 10 Core (aka Windows 10 Home).

Not everyone wants to see Microsoft's built-in page on a new tab, and users should not be expected to have to find an add-on or extension to add functionality that really should be there by-default.

In Internet Explorer 11, users can choose what they want on a new tab page by changing the "When a new tab is opened, open:" dropdown with choices if "The new tab page with my news feed", "A blank page", "The new tab page" and "Your first home page".

Is it not unreasonable to expect Edge could offer something IE11 currently does?

Right, Group policy isn't expected to be used by everyone, that's why there are extensions.

also if you have any feedback requesting a feature, there is a feedback button on Edge.

@tistou 

Spoiler

@tistou wrote:

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

Did you read the link you are posting ?

This policy is available only on Windows instances that are joined to a Microsoft Active Directory domain, Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise instances that enrolled for device management, or macOS instances that are that are managed via MDM or joined to a domain via MCX.

these options being available since almost the beginning of Edge Chromium

I read it,

Did you read when I said extensions are on-demand modules users can add/remove ?

I have submitted it before that way, but thought I'd comment while here creating my post about the tabs. Sadly, the "Send Feedback" built-into Edge really needs improving: there's no option to take a timed screenshot, so it's difficult to capture things that disappear once the Feedback dialog comes-up, and in the screenshot-editor part there is no option to add text -- doing annotations by handwriting using the mouse sure is a pain!
Windows 10 has Snip & Sketch app, shortcut is Windows + Shift + S

you can also assign it to the PrntScrn button. the app also lets you set a timer for screenshots.

the built in feedback system in Edge has a video recording feature, if you click on attachments in the feedback window, go to recreate my problem and press start recording.

below there is the place for adding your screenshots or other files.
This thread went off topic to feedback on Windows tools so I cleaned up those responses. Remember to keep it civil, folks!