gfgfdgdf.png

New Contextual Search feature

dfsfs.png

this feature is explained more in here:

An Interesting Feature: Replacing URLs With Search Queries in Address Bar

The same exact NTP (New Tab Page) settings just like in Edge desktop

gdfgdgd.png

10 Replies
I'm afraid I'm not seeing the tracking prevention or the contextual search here. Where should the tracking prevention settings appear?

@adrianghc 

@adrianghc wrote:
I'm afraid I'm not seeing the tracking prevention or the contextual search here. Where should the tracking prevention settings appear?

me netiher

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/where-is-tracking-prevention-in-edge-beta-for-and...

I think it has something to do with this

gfgdf.JPG

Testrollout1:off

It's probably a controlled rollout, yes. Not sure if it's that one, though, as I recall seeing that many months ago already.
Ah controlled rollouts are so harsh and unfair lol
btw I see Microsoft investing so much on the current Edge for Android, like improving the UI and adding all these new features. I guess they don't have any plans for changing the engine from EdgeHTML to Chromium on Android any time soon.
Haha, yes, you're right about the controlled rollouts. Understandable from developer perspective, but can be super frustrating to users that follow these things.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the engine on Android ever was EdgeHTML, I'm pretty sure it was always Chromium-based (so Blink). See e.g. here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-is-bringing-new-edge-apps-to-ios-android/
Hmm I think you're right, I tested it on some websites and they are reporting my browser is Chrome 77!
version 77 is so outdated if that is true..
also I can't reach chrome://flags, edge://flags, about://flags

@HotCakeX version 77 is so outdated if that is true..

Are you kidding? :smile:

It's been based on version 73 so far (Edge Android v44), version 77 came with this update (Edge Android v45) :lol:

Omg..wow, that came as a shock to me..
why aren't they keeping up with the most recent Chromium versions...what about all the security vulnerabilities that are patched in every Chromium version..?
Other mobile browsers seem to do this as well, e.g. Samsung Internet, which only now got to version 75 and was on version 71 until recently. I'm not sure why exactly, in any case it seems to be that Microsoft Edge on Android has a different codebase than the new Edge, since it's also much older. I wonder if one day they will converge, in which case this problem would probably be solved. However, I suspect it makes more sense to maintain common code between the iOS and Android versions than between the Android and desktop versions.
Good info, thanks
I tested Chrome 80 on HTML5test and it got 526 score, tested Edge 45 and it got 530 scores.
because of that and the fact that Edge is also using Chromium and Google is such a pain in the a**, I uninstalled Chrome and sticking with Edge and Bing.

I don't really care about version numbers but I care about security and vulnerabilities/zero-day bugs that are fixed in each Chromium version and I don't know whether Edge using version 77 means they are actually 3 versions behind Chrome in terms of security or not..