New Feature Request - Copy Data from one profile to another within Edge

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to request new features for Edge Chromium? I would like to submit the ability to copy data from one profile to another within Edge Chromium.

I think it can be done manually by copying the profile data folders but wondered if this was something on the radar for being able to do within the browser.

6 Replies

@willpashley Thanks for reaching out. This is an intriguing suggestion, so I'd like to hear more about it. Here are some questions for you:

1. In what use cases would this be helpful?
  2. What types of data would you specifically be looking to copy?
  3. If you haven't already, can you please submit this feedback through the browser? (Shift+Alt+I) This helps our team track feature requests in one place.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted @willpashley 

For me, I have a couple of reasons to do this. First (and most common) is creating a new profile for a new company that I'm working for - I have a common set of bookmarks for Office365/Azure that are used for every client.  I also turn off saving passwords (due to using Lastpass), Turn off the option to switch profiles, Finally the profile is renamed.  Using the Delegated access to Office365 is still not sufficient for day to day management, so unique profiles are created for each client (at least 34 profiles at the moment).

The other scenario  is when I switch from dev to beta - all my 34 profiles are no longer accessible and just copying the directories from AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data to AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Beta\User Data folder does not work - the new profiles do not show up.

Feedback was submitted today

@Andy Helsby Thanks for the detailed feedback! Tagging in @Avi Vaid so that the Identity team can see your use case, too.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Thanks - what I did notice yesterday after copying the profile directories over from beta to dev is that although the profiles don't show up when I select the user badge in the top right of the browser, if I click the new profile, a new profile is created but the settings (most noticeably the favourites toolbar) but also the last opened web pages shows up populated from the profile data that was copied over.

The names of the profile show up as Profile 5 and need to be renamed.

This does get me through some of the pain of creating profiles again, but with 40 of them name Profile 5...40 it's not the best user experience.

Received a new computer today. Installed Edge Dev. Successfully synched my work profile but that is the only profile that shows up. Really do not want to recreate my 20+ Edge profiles again. That's a real productivity killer.

Any suggestions? Even if I could get a way to recognize profiles that have been robocopied from my previous computer would be great.

This sounds useful, i'd upvote it