New Feature in Edge: Provide option to keep specific cookies when closing Edge browser

MVP

This feedback item is now available in Microsoft Edge Version 83.0.470.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for March

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

19 weeks

edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose

You've allowed the following sites to save and read cookies on your device. Cookies for these sites won't be cleared when you exit the browser.

fdsfsd.png

22 Replies

Also more explainers added to the cookies page to help understand what the options exactly do

in Edge Version 83.0.470.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

gfdgdfgd.png

hahahaha.... I looked before I posted on this to see if you had already posted but did not see this, which is why I posted.. Cool...

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

Spoiler

@Dennis5mile wrote:
hahahaha.... I looked before I posted on this to see if you had already posted but did not see this, which is why I posted.. Cool...

Dennis5mile

sorry I didn't understand what you said,

my post is from 2 hours ago, yours is 15 minutes ago.

@HotCakeX 

Spoiler

@HotCakeX wrote:

Also more explainers added to the cookies page to help understand what the options exactly do

in Edge Version 83.0.470.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

gfdgdfgd.png

The only thing that concerns me is that for security reasons it does not encrypted the website address and leaves them for anyone that is snooping to see..... 

Annotation 2020-03-30 135440.jpg

But then again, does it really matter....

Dennis5mile

Meaning I did not find this post of yours before I posted mine. Otherwise I would not have posted mine if I had seen your post on this subject....

Dennis5mile
Website addresses don't need to be encrypted, they are publicly known to everyone.
they are not passwords to be secret
Yeah, but do you want people to know where you are banking, who your broker is etc... and such.....

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

@Dennis5mile wrote:
Yeah, but do you want people to know where you are banking, who your broker is etc... and such.....

People who?

your computer should have password or PIN to prevent unauthorized access.

cookies are already visible in here: edge://settings/siteData

History and Favorites and lots of other pieces of data can reveal info about you as well.

those people you are talking about, if they have access to your computer, your bank website will be the least thing you need to worry about.

so all you have to do is to keep your whole device safe, with a password or PIN which Windows 10 has them.

@HotCakeX 

Can you please help me understand the difference between the two screenshots? 

Do both features accomplish the same? For example, on the second screenshot, what's the effect of adding websites under Allow (e.g., [*.]microsfot.com)? If I select "delete all cookies" will the Allow cookies remain and not be deleted?

I don't understand the difference between the new feature (first screenshot) and the second (old feature). Thanks!! 

@Watney 

Spoiler

@Watney wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Can you please help me understand the difference between the two screenshots? 

Do both features accomplish the same? For example, on the second screenshot, what's the effect of adding websites under Allow (e.g., [*.]microsfot.com)? If I select "delete all cookies" will the Allow cookies remain and not be deleted?

I don't understand the difference between the new feature (first screenshot) and the second (old feature). Thanks!! 

Hello,

they are actually the same,

when you add a site to be excluded from cookies deletion on close in this page:

you will see the same site being listed in here: edge://settings/content/cookies

@HotCakeX 

Thanks. Confirmed on the Canary channel, but still missing on Dev 83.0.467.0. 

Has anyone tested to confirm that edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose only changes the interface? In other words, on the 83.0.467.0 will any sites added to "Allow" remain and not be deleted if you toggle clear "Cookies and other site data on close"? Thanks again!

@Watney 

Spoiler

@Watney wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Thanks. Confirmed on the Canary channel, but still missing on Dev 83.0.467.0. 

Has anyone tested to confirm that edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose only changes the interface? In other words, on the 83.0.467.0 will any sites added to "Allow" remain and not be deleted if you toggle clear "Cookies and other site data on close"? Thanks again!

Hello,

Version 83.0.467.0 won't have it because the minimum version needs to be at least 83.0.470 which was the first one that got this feature, that's regardless of the channel.

when you add a site to be excluded from cookies deletion on close in this page:

you will see the same site being listed in here: edge://settings/content/cookies

in the "Allow" list. I've tested it myself multiple times since yesterday.

and its description says:

jhgjhg.png

@HotCakeX I have just tried. But when I add a URL, close an re-open the browser, it is not saved:

stesch79_0-1587478609326.png

Have I missed anything or is it also related to the "Site permissions" that are also cleared on exit?

@stesch79 

Look in your settings and be sure that the switch for "Site Permissions" is OFF.

Privacy and Services > Clear Browsing Data > Choose what to clear every time you close the browser

I was having the same issue. In another post here, we worked out the problem and @josh_bodner has filed it as a bug.

@HotCakeX  DEV 83.0.478.5

@TrafGib We have configured and enabled this policy https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#clearbrowsingdataonexit . It is not possible - as far as I know - to configure each setting individually. That would be nice!