NEW Feature: Favorite/Bookmark Duplicates Removal option Added

MVP

Another new feature in Edge Canary Version 81.0.411.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit),

Favorites/Bookmarks Duplicate removal option

if you click/touch the Favorites button on toolbar

dsdsds.png

Or go to your Favorites manager: edge://favorites/

you will notice this option at the bottom-left of the page

aa.png

Clicking on "Remove Duplicate Favorites" tells Edge to check for any duplicates in your favorites by scanning them

aaa.png

I Just scanned my favorites and I didn't have any duplicates

aaaa.png

10 Replies

@HotCakeX Version 81.0.416.6 (Official Build) dev (64-bit). Remove duplicates is not working for me, on any of my machines. Favourites were working prior to this current update have gone out of whack again, as with many older versions previously. Sync has worked fine until this update. Clicking on Remove Duplicates does nothing at all currently. Josh did mention this Duplication as the first item under Known Issues for this release.

Yeah they also added Favorites sync issues back to the top feedbacks lists, again
https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback

I wouldn't use Edge as my primary browser until these are all fixed.

@HotCakeX This is a great idea but isn't really usable with large numbers of bookmarks.  I have hundreds, so seeing "20 duplicates were removed" without knowing which ones, or in which folder, prevents me from knowing what I'm agreeing to delete.

This, compounded with the bug where the "Edit Favorite" window closes and creates a favorite in whatever folder you had selected when that window closed makes the remove duplicate feature even trickier.

@chris_conley 

I agree with you completely.

also, I think the sync engine for favorites should be reliable enough not to even need a duplicate removal feature built into browser. I've never seen any other browser have such tool in it.

the single fact that Edge has a duplicate removal too suggests that at some point a user will encounter a situation where their favorites will get messed up, it can either be old favorites coming back, favorites getting duplicated, favorites getting deleted or not even synced at all.

these happened to me before and I really hope these problems get highest priority for the Edge team to fix it asap before going forward introducing more features

@HotCakeX I have well over 2400 favorites & favorite folders.  I am running Edge Dev 84.0.488.1, but this has been happening since at least v82.  When I choose Remove Duplicates now, it simple takes FOREVER, then crashes out.  I have at least 5 Win 10 PCs that are syncing the Favorites.  It used to work and clean them out.  Now it just fails.

Maybe we could designate one computer as the Master copy and allow the others to do a one time pull from it, then restart syncing after that...

@jweiss1113 

@jweiss1113 wrote:

@HotCakeX I have well over 2400 favorites & favorite folders.  I am running Edge Dev 84.0.488.1, but this has been happening since at least v82.  When I choose Remove Duplicates now, it simple takes FOREVER, then crashes out.  I have at least 5 Win 10 PCs that are syncing the Favorites.  It used to work and clean them out.  Now it just fails.

Maybe we could designate one computer as the Master copy and allow the others to do a one time pull from it, then restart syncing after that...

I totally feel what you're going through because I've been there numerous times..

I don't know why Edge developers are not actively talking about favorites, duplicates, sync issues etc.

they are the most important subject because they are directly related to user data.

I really think they should remove the duplicate removal feature from Edge completely and instead of that, Fix the sync properly and completely so that the duplicates won't happen again.

Edge shouldn't even allow duplicates to be created/added/imported in the first place.

among all the popular browsers that I've used, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi etc. none of them had a duplicate removal feature.

simply having this feature inside a browser suggests that disasters are like to happen at some point.

@Deletedcould you please escalate this issue? thanks

@HotCakeX 

Now, I setup a Win10 VM in VMware Workstation to do nothing but try to Remove Duplicates.

Not only is it failing, it's completely crashing Edge Dev...

How about they at least give us the setting to increase the number of duplicate favorites that Edge can handle, then we could tweak, finish removal and put it back if necessary.

I agree there shouldn't be a need for it at all, but we are here, so we need to find a solution.

Edge Dev v84 error removing duplicates.jpg

@jweiss1113  @HotCakeX 

OK, JUST got the latest build, 84.0.495.2, still bombs out.  Now I get the attached error.

FYI for me the duplicate remover tool isn't just about fixing issues created by edge but also clearing out duplicates that I've had in my collection since forever nd imported from Chrome. I've used Chrome extensions in the past to do this, but hoped a built-in option would be better/more reliable. Any alt suggestions appreciated ;)

Thanks.

I agree, I have dups from old imports over a long time. I was hoping it would clean them out.
My list, now that it's doubled & tripled, is simply too big. I am getting an SBOX out of memory error.