New download option and potentially dangerous message

Bronze Contributor

Hello

Since the new download options (Open, Save as, etc ...), regularly when I download a file, I have the information that this file can be potentially dangerous for my PC (which is not all the case)

And I have the choice between "Keep" and "Cancel"

How to disable this option ?

Thanks

13 Replies

@tistou Thanks for reaching out! To confirm, do you mean that you want to unilaterally stop seeing the warning message? If so, can you tell us how that would improve your experience?

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

Hello

That's it, with IE and Classic Edge, I always disabled this message
I am careful with what I download, and I wish I could download without having this warning

Thanks

@Deleted 

I found, I have to enable "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen" to no longer get this warning...

Really weird

Windows Defender is disabled, I am using another antivirus

@tistou I appreciate the clarification! I'll ask the team and let you know if they have any insights.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

Thanks and you're welcome 

@tistou Microsoft Defender SmartScreen and Windows Defender are different things. Enabling SmartScreen in Edge doesn't change Anti-virus settings.

@bhkumar007 

Yes I leave it enabled so as not to have the message
But I thought it was quite the opposite,

Having the Smart Screen disabled = no warning message

@tistou Not exactly. When SmartScreen is enabled, you get smart recommendation from the defender service about the maliciousness of the file being downloaded. When SmartScreen is disabled, browser has to fall back to not so smart logic of identifying the potential security issues based on the type of files. e.g. an exe can be virus and .txt not so much. So, you are likely to see a warning for .exe and not so much for .txt

@bhkumar007 

Ok thanks, but Defender is completely disabled, I am using another antivirus

@tistou When I say defender, I mean Microsoft Defender SmartScreen Service and not the Windows(Microsoft) Defender AntiVirus on your system.

@bhkumar007 

Ah ok, thanks

it's better to leave this option enabled then ?

@tistou yes, keep the SmartScreen enabled :)