SOLVED

new bug: URL in URL bar shifts to the right when you start editing it

Steel Contributor

New issue in Edge Canary introduced today or yesterday: when you start editing the URL in the URL bar, it shifts to the right. This is really annoying and is clearly just wrong. It's one of the little "paper cuts" that made me use Edge instead of Chrome (Chrome has this issue for a few years now, here is the bug report for it https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=853355 )

Please, revert to the way Edge used to be! The URL should not shift, period. This is UI/UX 101 (I really don't know what the Chrome team is thinking leaving this for so long)

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Bdsrev (Steel Contributor)
Solution
We're aware of this behavior and it's definitely not intended, so we're working to fix it. Thanks for reporting!
Yous are the best! While I've got your attention, can you please give us an update on the vertical tabs Fitts' Law issues? Here is the discussion for that https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/vertical-tabs-should-be-consistent-with-fitts-law...
As far as I know, vertical tabs intentionally did that as a design choice, since that's the direction our design language is evolving in. It also arguably has the benefit of reducing unintentional tab activations, although I have no idea how to weight the relative importance of easy activation vs. preventing unintentional activation. And there are other situations where you won't have the tab be pushed all the way to the left of the pane anyway. For example, if you use tab groups, you get a margin on the left that doesn't respond to clicks.
I'm sorry but I have to say, I think that design decision for tab groups in vertical tabs is bad and flawed, and I say this as someone that loves tab groups. It's just unnecessary to have that margin/padding for tab groups, the colored line is more than sufficient AND you would be able to have those tabs follow Fitts' law too. Look at how tab groups work in horizontal tabs: there's no margin and I cannot think of an issue with that UI/UX.

No disrespect but I think the Edge team is not appreciating how annoying this Fitts' law vertical tabs issue is. It's really harming the user experience for vertical tabs. I respect the Edge team and I'm not one of those people that try to tell people how to do their job but this Fitts law vertical tab thing is so obvious. Could yous please reconsider? Maybe do some user testing and ask the Insider community what they think about this? Or try this experiment and see how users react: for horizontal tabs mode, move the tabs down a little bit, which would ruin the Fitts' law effect when the window is maximized. I guarantee that you would instantly get a flood of complaints! And that's because without it, targeting tabs is just slower and requires more effort/care. It would be a huge usability downgrade, and that's how Edge's vertical tabs UI has been all along :(
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bdsrev (Steel Contributor)
Solution
We're aware of this behavior and it's definitely not intended, so we're working to fix it. Thanks for reporting!

View solution in original post