SOLVED

Need an explanation for WebApp-StoreApp migration feature in Edge

MVP

Enable Migration of browser installed PWA to Store installed app

Enables replacement of browser installed web app with Windows Store installed app. Requires the same Web App to be installed by user from browser and Windows Store.  Windows

#edge-webapp-storeapp-migration

this flag exists in Edge Version 88.0.692.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

To figure out how this feature works, I installed Spotify web player in Edge and installed Spotify from Windows store, but nothing happened. I was expecting with this feature and based on its description, clicking on the PWA Spotify icon would launch Spotify app installed from the store.

I'd appreciate any info regarding this feature to help understand how it works exactly.

5 Replies

@HotCakeX Recently they announced the ability for Microsoft Store PWAs to target the new Edge, instead of Legacy Edge. 

I think this flag may be for purpose like for example, if I have Twitter PWA installed by myself, and now if the Twitter app through the Microsoft Store starts targeting the new Microsoft Edge, in that case Edge will migrate our Twitter to the Store one, instead of the one installed by us.

It's just a guess from me, an explanation from the team here would make much more sense. 

@Rohit Yadav Hello. I tried to do this with twitter. There was no replacement. 88.0.698.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit version)

I tried it with a PWA on Microsoft store build for the Edge-Chromium, called SimpleEdit, didn't work.
so yes better wait for official response from Edge team.
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX this one is a little complicated. The flag is meant for the scenario where you have installed a PWA via the Browser and then go to the Store and install the same App. We don't want to have two Tiles, so we have this flag to merge them.

However, the flag is only available in Canary, while the app you install from the Store is Stable. So to see this actually working, you'll need to wait for the flag to get to Stable. I've been trying to figure out language to use that explains this better in the flag description...

-John

@johnjansen 

Thanks, that makes sense.

so, If I install Twitter website as an app in Edge and then install Twitter UWP from store, that won't work, right? even if this feature makes it to the stable channel.

for this to work, Twitter needs to publish a PWA version of their app to store.

Microsoft store currently has no category to list PWAs.

so, if my assumption is true, that UWP apps won't replace PWAs, only PWAs from store replace PWAs from Edge stable, then I think you can slightly change the flag's description and title, to this:

Enable Migration of browser installed PWA to Store installed app PWA

Enables replacement of browser installed web app with Windows Store installed web app. Requires the same Web App to be installed by user from browser and Windows Store. – Windows

#edge-webapp-storeapp-migration

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX this one is a little complicated. The flag is meant for the scenario where you have installed a PWA via the Browser and then go to the Store and install the same App. We don't want to have two Tiles, so we have this flag to merge them.

However, the flag is only available in Canary, while the app you install from the Store is Stable. So to see this actually working, you'll need to wait for the flag to get to Stable. I've been trying to figure out language to use that explains this better in the flag description...

-John

View solution in original post