Nearby share support in edge browser?

Steel Contributor

Annotation 2020-08-04 222929.png

In chrome v86.0.4217.2, there's a flag called "Nearby share" which enables nearby share support for files with android devices, Also check this article (XDA) to understand better. I just checked in edge flag page & this flag was missing. 

Will edge have this feature available in future? Can you share some thoughts on this @Deleted @MissyQ ?

Edit: Above screenshot is from chrome browser.

5 Replies
It would be great to have support for Nearby Sharing in Edge too.

@hussain5416 I don't have any info or news to share at this time, but it's good to know that there would be interest in this functionality!

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Crossplatform is always a great convenience, and this nearby sharing seems reliable enough for that. I would love edge implements something like that. coz if not, it would be lacking behind the chrome.

@hussain5416 

check for urself... install the chromium browser and search for "Nearby share" flag.. the flag has already been added to the chrome browser, so if it isn't available on the chromium browser then it means that Google has no intention for allowing other devices to use this feature.(#. on off chance if it is available, then the implementation would depend on MS.

Moreover, Nearby share is an Android Mainline project pushed through Google Play Store... I don't think it will be available on open source.

@davix_pixie ,
That's what I fear of. Although nearby share seems to be specific to chrome desktop (google stuff), Also Edge on android also not even close to chrome android, people who love to link their android and desktop workflow will prefer chrome over edge.
For me personally, I hate chrome, and I don't want to use chrome just for this 'nearby share' functionality. That's why I hope MS add some functionality like this in edge.