Native Messaging Host issue in Edge 80/81

Copper Contributor

Trying to test our extension in Edge 80/81 and having trouble.  The NMH process starts, but after a few messages are exchanged, the pipe is closed.

The Beta welcome page lists a known issue with webstore extensions "The If an extension relies on companion software on your PC, it may not work properly, even if the companion software is installed."

In my case, I am working in developer mode, loading an unpacked extension but the known issue description sounds suspicious.

The extension is working fine in the Stable release of Edge 79 (and also works in Chrome 79, 80, and 81).  Does anyone have any idea what might be happening in the beta or have any details related to the known issue above?

4 Replies

@CConti We're sorry to hear that you're running into some roadblocks above 79. Can you please confirm exactly which channels and versions didn't work? And if you have an error log, please submit it through the browser for the devs.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

Currently testing with The Beta Channel (Version 80.0.361.47 (Official build) beta (64-bit)).  Saw the same behavior with the Dev Channel (don't currently have it installed, didn't create a snapshot in my VM, but it was the current version of 81 as Monday 2/5)

Not much in the way of logs (Is there any additional logging that can be turned on in regards to native messaging hosts?).  The only error in the console is 'Unchecked runtime.lastError: Error when communicating with the native messaging host.'  Yes, I can handle the error when it occurs, but at that point the stdio pipe has already been closed.  This happens after the NMH process has been launched and several messages have already been exchanged.

@CConti Thanks for the details. If you use the "submit feedback" icon in the browser, it will capture diagnostic data and logs (with your permission) and send them to our devs. While I'd still recommend doing that, I will also loop in our extension team and let you know if they can have any additional insights or questions.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Thanks for looping me in. I did submit feedback around 11:00EST this morning. (I don't see any kind of tracking number on the confirmation email to paste here)

CConti