SOLVED

Name suggestion for the new Edge insider browser

MVP

I've seen a lot of people asking for a name change and logo change for the new Edge insider browser. I know it's simply a request and the ultimate decision should be made by Microsoft and they have to consider many things before doing it.

Microsoft has already rebranded their Security suit and now calls it Microsoft Defender (previously known as Windows Defender), they started this name change when they released that security suit for MAC OSX, they removed the word Windows from it so that it becomes a universal software and not OS depended.

I think it would be a good thing if Microsoft did the same change to the Edge browser, by calling it something like Microsoft browser, that would be a clean slate, no attachments to the previous browser, no good/bad history. a new journey to begin, hopefully a very good one.

For the logo, you can use the 4 colors from the Microsoft logo (red,blue,green,yellow) and mix them up and possibly replace E with an M. (Feel free to suggest anything else you've got in mind)

also it makes more sense now more than ever because there were never any browsers from Microsoft available for any other OS than Windows. neither the Internet explorer, not the old Edge were available for other platforms. but now this new Edge insider browser is officially supported on MAC, older versions of Microsoft Windows and maybe soon available for Linux too.  

if all of that are not good enough, then what about this. when someone has a problem or question about Google chrome, they can search for it using search engines and all of the results are pretty much related to what they searched for, because there is only one Google chrome browser.

When Microsoft Edge insider goes into stable phase and replaces the built-in Edge browser, it will be hard for everyone to search about it in search engines like (Bing, Google etc), whether it's a problem, question about a specific feature or anything, because the search results will be mixed and misleading. half of the search results will be about the old built-in Edge and the other half will be about the new Edge browser. and since both the old and new Edge have the same name and even same logo (as seen from the leaked stable version on Microsoft Servers), that's gonna be very problematic for the end user.

it's already obvious that the end game is to replace the built-in Edge with the least changes in appearance.

we all want the best for Microsoft Edge.

Thanks

@Elliot Kirk

8 Replies
Last month I commented as a reply about that. It was a suggestion post or something. What Microsoft does they do, and I'm guessing Edge is going to stay Edge. But I had also mentioned that a name change would or could positively distance the new browser away from the old. The current Edge HTML browser has only a 4 percent reported usage (even Firefox is beating it out). The Edge Chromium Beta's have already shown it is far superior and better than both the old Edge and Chrome's own browser, but the problem is most users will see the word "Edge" or see the new Edge on their computer (but using the same icon and name) and think it's the old browswer or old browswer with a minor revamping and not so much a complete new engine of the browswer. Heavy marketing/promting of that the new Edge is in fact new to the world, and not the old browser simply with new updates. So a name change might/can be that "new start" to the browswer where users don't see it or confuse it with the old Edge.

For us as Beta testers and Insiders we of course know it's a new engine (Chromium) and a new browswer under the Edge name but most Windows home or business users won't know unless they're told or see it themselves and if they're already on Chrome and see a new version of Edge but don't really understand it's a whole new engine they might skip it. But marketing/promoting it with a new name as if it's a new browswer in it's own right will have people wanting to test it out just to test out the "new browser".

If that makes sense...sometimes it's hard to type out what's eaiser and makes more sense in words. But in other words I totally agree with you and had also mentioned that in passing in another post.

What name it could be...I don't know. You made some good suggestions. Samsung simply calls their android browser "Samsung Internet Browswer" and it works good for them. Maybe have a poll of the best 20 names to vote on by users to decide or of course MS just picking their own name.

It seems "Edge" is already set because of the marketing being done under the Edge name with the new browswer engine both on Microsoft's site's and demo promotions and so on but it would interesting to see an alternative name.
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX@Anthony, this is an interesting read.  We are aware of the negative view that some have of both Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.  We are trying to balance that with the needs of the millions of users that do use Microsoft Edge.  This certainly is a huge challenge for us, and hopefully when we finally reach our Stable channel, we will have navigated it well.  Thanks - Elliot

@HotCakeX It does "Technically" have a name as of right now. It's called Chromium Based Edge. But I agree. It does need a new name so searching for our problems for it would be easier.

I agree, it needs a new name and logo to avoid any conflict with the old Edge

@xhero25x - They can't official use the name "Edge Chromium" or "Chromium Edge". Well...it's not that they actually can't, but there would be too much confusion and mix ups to the point they won't use it. The Chromium Project uses the "raw off the the truck, buggy and unstable as heck, and doesn't/can't auto-update version with up to 40 revisions to that day's build a day of the open source engine Chromium" called "Chromium" which is what Edge is basing their browser engine off of. Google Chrome same thing opting to name their browser "Chrome". People would get mixed up and confused thinking "Edge Chromium" is either an extension of The Chromium Project's raw built browser (engine) or is now under Google Chrome. They would need to use a name that doesn't have the world Chrome(ium) in it or else it would just be a big confusing mess for users. Opera is based off the Chromium engine and they're simply called "Opera" or "Opera Mini". 

The name would have to be something new and unique but something that won't confuse users with Chrome or Chromium browsers.  Edge isn't a bad name, it's fine as a name in itself, the question on the table is will users (non-beta everyday home and work users) know Edge is (will be) Chromium based instead of the old Edge they're used to seeing and hearing about. Edge is too associated with the old Edge HTML and maybe a complete breakaway from that Edge will give the new Chromium version of Edge a new start not associated with it's past engine. 

As for Internet Explorer...that's a hard one. In 2019 it's hardly used browser and basically encouraged by Microsoft not to be used. Some of the younger generation see IE a relic of the past or what they hear in history class about IE being the center of the US vs Microsoft antitrust trial in 2001  However in its day before Chrome came on the scene it was the browser of browsers holding like 90 percent of the user share. Nestcape cried and wined about monopoly and and all that stuff because when IE 1.0 came out eventually knocked Netsape a few years later out of competition (and in the late 90's there wasn't many browsers to choose from...basically Netscape and IE or AOL's own built in browser to their desktop program). However no one forced people to use IE and people could easily still used Netscape but they opted to use IE browser on Windows. IE was just the better and easier and simple browser. It was my favorite browser into it was more or less back shelved by MS in 2015 for Edge. 

Well see what happens with the name. 

@Elliot Kirk 

(Sorry for my English)

Hi Elliot ...

I do not agree with your comment that people have a bad opinion of IE and Edge. I know it has bad reviews, like Apple's iPhone or Tesla car or Real Madrid etc, but there are also many people who still use IE because they have not yet found a browser that meets all their tastes as IE did.

I understand that it is good to look for a new name and a new icon, but we must not forget the past as if it were the plague, because I do not see it that way. IE was for many years the most used browser in the world and no browser made it shadow. He had many things better than his competition.

Microsoft has to look for something new, with more freshness, and that encourages everyone ... but without forgetting the great things that their predecessors had. Neither everything about google is gold nor everything about microsoft is lead. Everyone has good things ... and Microsoft is already starting with the good of Chrome based its chromium project. Now that you do not forget to take the good thing that IE and Edge had and dock it in your new project.

I know that MS is working to make a great browser. Lack of time ... but in the few months that Edge Chromiun has been doing, a lot has already advanced. So the future looks great. Thank you!!!

Greetings and thank you

-------------------
(En español - Spanish)

Hola Elliot ...

No estoy de acuerdo con tu comentario sobre que la gente tiene mala opinion de IE y Edge. Se que tiene malas criticas, igual que el iphone de apple o el coche tesla o el Real Madrid etc, pero tambien hay mucha gente que sigue usando IE porque aun no ha encontrado un navegador que cumpla con todos sus gustos como lo hacia IE.

Entiendo que es bueno buscar un nuevo nombre y un nuevo icono, pero tampoco hay que olvidar el pasado como si fuese la peste, porque yo no lo veo asi. IE fue durante muchisimos años el navegador mas usado del mundo y ningun navegador le hacia sombra. Tenia muchas cosas mejores que su competencia.

Microsoft tiene que buscar algo nuevo, con mas frescura, y que anime a todo el mundo ... pero sin olvidarse de las grandes cosas que tenian sus antecesores. Ni todo lo de google es oro ni todo lo de microsoft es plomo. Todos tienen cosas buenas ... y microsoft ya esta empezando con lo bueno de chrome basando su proyecto en chromium. Ahora que no se olvide de coger lo bueno que tenia IE y Edge y acoplarlo en su nuevo proyecto.

Se que MS esta trabajando para hacer un gran navegador. Falta tiempo ... pero en los pocos meses que lleva Edge Chromiun ya ha avanzado un monton. Asi que el futuro pinta muy bien. Gracias!!!

Un saludo y gracias

I do not think a complete name change would be required for the new Edge. Most people who have bad memories of Internet Explorer associate it with the blue "e" icon. To this day, whenever people see the updated "e" icon of Edge they say "oh, could you get rid of Internet Explorer for me?" (I work in tech support).

So... I believe people who actually know the name "Edge" consider it a good browser, even if they don't use it. Others do not know it's "Edge" and keep referring to it as "IE".

So I think something less drastic would suffice: only get rid of the "e" based icon. 

@Anthony That's why I said technically. I was just calling it what Microsoft probably wanted the news outlets to call it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX@Anthony, this is an interesting read.  We are aware of the negative view that some have of both Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.  We are trying to balance that with the needs of the millions of users that do use Microsoft Edge.  This certainly is a huge challenge for us, and hopefully when we finally reach our Stable channel, we will have navigated it well.  Thanks - Elliot

View solution in original post