Name Browser Window

Bronze Contributor

Just noticed that in Canary build 88.0.704.0, there is an option to name Edge Windows.

Right clicking on the empty area in the Tab Strip and select this option:

image.png

One can rename the Edge window from there:

image.png

The window is renamed and visible in all places as you would expect.

image.png

I think it is a neat feature and will be helpful to keep workflows organized.

Thank you, team, for considering this feature!

24 Replies
@Rohit Yadav Thanks for sharing! This is awesome, guaranteed by Kam :)
It's kinda confusing to use it with vertical tabs.
when I name a window in vertical tabs, the site favicons next to the custom name change while the name stays the same.
it's the place where page title must be shown.

I think it would be better if the sites' favicon gets replaced by Edge logo, that would be better with a custom window name.

Maybe,

for any serious workflow organizing I'd use virtual desktops instead

1.png

2.png

3.png

Yea no doubt, organizing windows with the help of Virtual Desktops is even better.

It would be better if they show window name in TOP LEFT CORNER, while webpage title stays in center.

Seems that it's been removed as of the last dev channel update (Version 89.0.767.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit))

WindowNameMissing.png

It's a bummer that it's gone. I was loving the ability to group tabs into separate windows. Made working with different applications that open a lot of tabs much more manageable. One window for Azure Portal. Another for Azure Devops. etc...

Yeah I don't have it either

@HotCakeX I submitted feedback. Hopefully it was just a miss

Yeah hopefully..

Any indication as to why this feature is now missing in Canary and Dev channels?  It has been missing for a few versions now, so I assume it wasn't a mistake - but would love to know if it is coming back.

It is now available in the stable version of Chrome, so not sure why it is removed from Edge.

Who knows, maybe they are actively working on it to provide more value than the default implementation from Chromium? :)

@rjchung 

@rjchung wrote:

Any indication as to why this feature is now missing in Canary and Dev channels?  It has been missing for a few versions now, so I assume it wasn't a mistake - but would love to know if it is coming back.

It is now available in the stable version of Chrome, so not sure why it is removed from Edge.

Developer's response:

"the ability to name a window was an experimental feature that came from Chromium, and it appears to have been turned off."

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-89-0-774-4-is-live/m-p/2112...

so apparently Edge developers didn't intend to enable it, but if that's what you want, make sure to send feedback using the feedback button on Edge.

Thanks, yeah I saw their response (after I bumped this thread) - I have left feedback a few times on different versions of the Beta Channel hoping they would add it back in ...

Will have to wait and hope they eventually incorporate it into the Edge builds, or at least make it an Experimental flag to turn it back on.

Yeah, the design had some flaws though, some parts of it didn't make sense as i showed in my screenshot above, probably because feature made in Chromium didn't consider the fact that Edge has vertical tabs.

if you're on Windows, you can use "multiple desktops" feature an an alternative. can give them custom names too.

@HotCakeX 

Looks like Name window... has re-emerged. Version 90.0.818.6 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Right-clicking on a window in the task bar and in the title bar (not on a tab):

Yes, first appeared 2 weeks ago on Canary, glad it's now in Dev channel.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/window-naming-feature-is-back-in-edge-canary-vers...
Ah - I missed it! Happy it's back :)

Awesome to see it is back!  I also found in the stable release, if you open Edge with the command line argument:

"--enable-features=WindowNaming" it will enable Window naming - although in stable it is a little inconsistent with carrying window names over after to close and re-open the browser.

Glad to see it is coming back in Canary/Dev w/o any special arguments to enable it!