My hunch 🤞

Silver Contributor

Sure, I could be wrong, but, I, really, do feel we are going to see Inking (aka Add notes) in the browser (itself) very soon; at least, by the next Update, is my hunch.  I think it IS coming.  Let's hope I'm right :crossed_fingers:

Cheers,
Drew

9 Replies

@Drew1903 

Well it's been on the list for only 10 weeks
https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback

there are items that have been on the list for 20 weeks too

Inking on Web Pages - Discussion

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/inking-on-web-pages-discussion/m-p/1006005

I think first they will have to wrap that topic up before going ahead and implement it.

I think they will have to complete the PDF inking features, i.e add the sticky notes to the PDFs, just like in Edge classic/

@Drew1903 "Sure, I could be wrong, but, I, really, do feel we are going to see Inking (aka Add notes) in the browser (itself) very soon; at least, by the next Update, is my hunch."

If by "the next Update", you mean the updated version of Stable to be released in February, I wouldn't bet the farm. 

The current Beta (Version 80.0.361.33 (Official build) beta (64-bit)) was released January 15, and is most likely the February Stable update release, or close to.  I am sure that we will see bug fixes, but I don't think that there will be any significant features (Inking, for example) added to the current Beta before the February release.

Canary would be more probable

@tomscharbach 

Well, Tom, we'll see. But, regardless of the time-frame, I do believe it is coming.

Cheers,
Drew

There is a big discussion thread about it so it's obvious it will be implemented into Edge

"We have received a lot of feedback about supporting inking annotations for web pages like what we have in the current version of Microsoft Edge. Many users have told us that they use this functionality as a daily driver and would like to see it in the new version of Microsoft Edge as well. We would like to understand the scenarios in which you would use this functionality. Details about what you use it for, what are the expectations about availability of different tools, saving and sharing options etc. would be extremely useful in making sure we provide the best user experience to you. Your input will help us making sure that the feature works best for you. "

that explains everything
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/inking-on-web-pages-discussion/m-p/1006005

@Drew1903 "Well, Tom, we'll see. But, regardless of the time-frame, I do believe it is coming."

I think so, too.  The several discussion threads on this topic shows support for Inking and the issue is on the "Top Feedback" list, so I'm fairly confident that Microsoft will implement it in due course.

As to when, I have no idea.  Stable updates are on a rough six-week schedule**.  The February Stable update is now more or less in place (reference January 15 Beta), and Inking development needs to go through Canary and Dev builds*** before getting to a Beta. 

So the question is whether Inking will make it into the late-February Beta or whether Inking will wait until a subsequent Beta.  I have no thoughts about that, but when Inking gets into a Beta, then we will both know that we are about 6 weeks out from implementation in Stable.

=================

**  See "Upgrading to the new Microsoft Edge" (January 15, 2020): "Once you’ve installed Microsoft Edge, it will update independently on a roughly six-week cadence."

*** Has Inking made it into either Canary or Dev at this point?  I don't use either, so I don't know, but if Inking is in active development in the Canary and/or Dev channels at this point, then it is more likely that Inking will be in the February Beta than if it is not in current development in those channels.

Web page inking isn't in Canary yet.

@tomscharbach 

"the issue is on the "Top Feedback" list", Tom

It is, also, in the top portion of the Team's To Do list. (If not, at the top)

Hope I don't end up in caca for telling you that. But, I, really, wasn't told not to divulge it.

Cheers,
Drew

All of them top feedback list items should be implemented sooner or later. the big thing was sync issues and they fixed a big portion of it.
the remaining items (History, Open tabs, Extensions) should be implemented too. there are more important that web page inking. A LOT more important