Must Haves - Edge to Edge C. A study in red.

Silver Contributor

More tools has Pin to start in it; mentioning this saves putting in 2 pictures instead of just one. What most everyone is saying is there is a list of things which, are "Must haves".  It is possible to show them (the list) all at once.  Why?  Well, because we, already, have them & like them & use them.  Guess where... in Edge!  Point is, they, this list, are "Must haves" in Edge C, also.  Take look :eyes: at the items circled in red to know the list all summed up in the picture below OF EDGE.

1k.jpg

Plus, we STILL want to highlight text, Rt Clk & translate that. STILL, want to highlight, Rt Clk & ask Cortana OR Search with Bing. Same thing & look up meanings/word definitions. And control videos.

In a phrase, it's unacceptable to omit Edge from Edge C.  MUST keep what it is.  Improve under the hood. But, do not omit things we have, NOW! Would be unacceptable.

Cheers,
Drew

thVY64FD02.jpg

8 Replies
I totally agree with Drew on all points.

@Drew1903 wrote:

In a phrase, it's unacceptable to omit Edge from Edge C. 

I think the devs would run a risk of missing current massive Chrome crowd, if primarily concentrating efforts on features transfer from Edge Classic. Its understandable that current Edge Classic users demand to transfer all features they are familiar with - primarily those benefiting from better integration with Windows. But the fact is, Edge Classic has 3-4% overall popularity mark among internet users, and Chromium derivatives hold near entire web surfing market. This is a powerful vote signaling web users prefer Chrome flexibility and UI simplicity to Edge Classic better integration with OS.

The expected problem on this board is Edge Classic users are a lot more vocal, and may unduly and disproportionally influence browser development, resulting in non-surprising ignorance of new Edge Chromium by Chrome followers, which may affect future existence of MS Edge browser and its team. Because the purpose of moving to Chromium engine was to raise browser usage while keeping dev costs under control. Its impossible by simply converting Chromium UI to Edge Classic. The team of course knows that majority of this board members for now are Edge Classic users. But its a challenge to not fall under such influence, while Chrome lovers participation on this forum is slim.

What I suggest is:

- avoid overloading browser UI and Settings with features relying on OS integration, since they may be accessible otherwise, such as from Right Mouse Click or automatically;

- improve compatibility with Chrome Extensions giving users freedom of customization;

- better browser performance, which is mediocre at best now on many websites outside North America;

- don't disable familiar Chrome flags, as it affects browser acceptance by Chrome users and Chrome extensions usability;

- concentrate on more efficient work flow as possible Edge advantage, meaning seemless integration with Office tools and other MS apps;

- capitalize on Edge more efficient video playback instead of cutting off Chrome extensions that enable it. Allow m3u8 playlists and torrent magnet links direct playback in Edge Chromium HTML5 default video player. Allow the player to use 3rd party codecs installed in OS by user.

@Drew1903 

You post quite involved content, I always read with interest. More users would find and leave comments in your threads if their Title highlights content more clearly. :) 

@sambul95 

Oh my :o Thank you for that, Sam!  If you're not the only one with such feelings, it'll be great ;) LOL. 

Point taken, I couldn't decide on a title; maybe, clever & attention-getting missed the mark.  Anyway, as you can see, I have re-titled it ☺  Should be ok (now), I trust.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Drew

@Drew1903 

Now its outstanding. :) Its kind of strange, I don't see any smileys in this board text area format menu. Where are you getting them from - another program? I copied that one from your post. ;)

@sambul95 

The source has no relation to a browser nor any 'outside' program. They are done by using a Windows 10 Feature, the Emoticon Panel.  They can be inserted to 'anywhere' one is typing. It is accessed via Win+. OR Win+; and gives this, a plethora of items across several categories... 

What's showing is ones recently used via :two_o_clock:.  Search :magnifying_glass_tilted_right:, you type, it finds. And, then, the categories across the bottom with all sorts of stuff:exclamation_mark:

EP.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

That's the advantage of being multi-years Windows tester. ✌:rose:

@sambul95 

Sam, it has been in Win10 since, at least, 1809; although, I think it was before that.  Its offerings have been expanded & improved, but, it's been in 10 for quite some time, now.  Anyway, now you're hip to it.

Certainly, as Insiders, we know what's coming.  But, here's a tip (meant in the nicest, kindest way) for non-Insiders: When the Spring & Fall Updates are done, :eyes: at What's New (& more) which, is in Tips. So, when we receive new versions, go to Tips & discover what's new and more, within the OS. Of course, can be read anytime, too :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes: LOL  Windows 10 will/can tell you all about itself, itself, right there :backhand_index_pointing_down:

(As one can see, I am on 1903)

Tips.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg