Multiple issues with touch input in Edge

Brass Contributor

There are numerous issues with using Edge browser by touch. In annoyance from biggest to smallest:

1. On YouTube subscriptions and recommended pages tap&hold on the video doesn't produce the context menu to open it in a new tab but instead starts the video.
  2. The text selection ui/ux is different from the rest of the OS. That means in all of Windows one would tap or doubletap the text to select it, yet in Edge one has to tap&hold. That messes up the muscle memory and I still try to tap or double tap in edge and then in, say, Twitter I try to ?tap&hold...
  3. Tap&hold for text selection in edge often doesn't open the scroll thingies to select more text and the copy button, someone has to use touch keyboard shortcuts
  4. Touch keyboard shortcuts have a huge lag between pressing ctrl and c/v/a to produce the actual shortcut command. Instead, if you don't wait like 10 seconds, it just produces the letter.
  5. Fast and frequent touch input (tapping many time fast in a small area) freezes the rest of touch input on that tab or on all open tabs and one has to restart the browser for it to work again
5 Replies

Uuu, theres another one! Trying to drag a tab so it becomes a new window with touch also doesn't work...

@Mustakivi 

Thanks for mentioning this.

Yes, the lack of touch optimization is driving me crazy too since day one of edge chromium. 

The text selection is uncommon (tap and hold, you mentioned it) and extremely unstable. I often can't select anything anymore or the whole page freezes when working with text selection, especially when the page is accidentially zoomed a bit, which happens quite often to me. 

Another annoying thing is that on larger text inputs the whole inputsection doesn't move up when you click into a lower section, so the cursor is halfway or completely hidden by the virtual keyboard and you have to scroll manually to be able to see what you're typing. But that seems to be a general problem of the chrome engine since they changed the input method in october last year. I faced this on Googles Chrome browser too.

And the third is the unstable, most of the time not working fullscreen dropdown of the tab- and addressbar. It freezes the whole browser almost every time I click on a tab after swiping it in. 

Please MS, take a look at the issues mentioned in this thread, they are blocking thousands and thousands of tablet/touchscreen users to switch to edge, thanks. 

@Mustakivi wrote:

Uuu, theres another one! Trying to drag a tab so it becomes a new window with touch also doesn't work...

Interesting, because this works for me with touch, both on Dev and Canary.
Which version/channel are you on?

@Neon01 i'm not sure what the lingo is, the stable release I guess, the one that replaces the old edge.

@Neon01 wrote:

Please MS, take a look at the issues mentioned in this thread, they are blocking thousands and thousands of tablet/touchscreen users to switch to edge, thanks. 

Everything in my original post applies to Chrome, Mozilla and, I assume, all the other chromium based browsers. So the issue here is much larger than people not switching to Edge. People can't do what they are used to doing on Windows using touch full stop.