SOLVED

MS Edge not launching in Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Live

Copper Contributor

Hi, folks.

As stated, I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu 24.04 LTS from a live USB. I recently installed Edge, and when launching through the CLI, I get the following error:

[28366:28366:0527/014811.095701:FATAL:credentials.cc(127)] Check failed: . : Permission denied (13)

This is the output I get when launching using the sudo microsfoft-edge-stable --no-sandbox command.

I purged the install, tried using the .DEB package installed with gDebi, same issue. Is there anyone who can tell me what I'm missing?

10 Replies
Hi Dave,
Is the live USB setup as a persistent drive? More help here: https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-persistent-live-usb/

I had some trouble with the installation of Edge on a desktop using gDebi although dpkg -i worked fine.

@_RGilbert : It is. I set it up via the latest version of Rufus, with a 50GB partition on the flash drive for persistence.

..and it runs fine using regular user permissions from icon shortcut without root privileges ?
It does not. It'll try to launch and croak. I launched without root via CLI, and got the permission denied error. Then launched as root via sudo and it still didn't launch.
I see Rufus is addressing recent issues with persistence: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2024/05/rufus-usb-ubuntu-24-04-persistence
Could be there are still problems with Rufus.
best response confirmed by DaveTofflemire (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Edge wouldn't launch for me on desktop version of 24.04 when I installed using gDebi. I uninstalled and reinstalled using dpkg and now it launches.
I'll purge and try dpkg and report back.
@_RGilbert: I installed via dpkg on the live USB, and it didn't work for me. Just for giggles I spun up a VM in Hyper-V and it worked right away. I think you called it with the Rufus persistence issue. Luckily, I think I can do everything I need in the VM, so I'll just stick with that.

MS Edge does not open in Ubuntu 24.04 since upgrading from 22.04. I tried .deb and dpkg purging inbetween and it still will not open. The Ubuntu software center also did a recent update on Edge and still it will not open.@DaveTofflemire 

For those having trouble with Micorosoft Edge, after having installed Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, the following is what worked for me ( I installed Microsoft Edge with gDebi )
Microsoft Edge worked after rebooting the PC.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DaveTofflemire (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Edge wouldn't launch for me on desktop version of 24.04 when I installed using gDebi. I uninstalled and reinstalled using dpkg and now it launches.

View solution in original post