MS Edge language based on user locale

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have deployed MS Edge in my RDS 2016 environment. I would like to somehow (maybe through a GPO or registry) set the browser language based on the user's windows language.

There are users that for example are French or German that would like to have MS Edge in their corresponding language.

Right now this is a manual task that has to be done by every user.

7 Replies

@HotCakeX Thanks for replying. I saw that thread, so there is no solution? I just realized I could have posted on that thread...

@HotCakeX This would kinda work with some Powershell logic.

The documentation clearly says that If you disable or don't configure this setting, Microsoft Edge uses either the user-specified preferred locale (if configured) or the fallback locale 'en-US'. 

I have set the user-specific locale and the language is still English.

I searched to see if Chrome has any better policies but all I found was the same thing for Chrome as well.

So according to Microsoft documentation, the edge DefinedPreferredLanguages attribute can only be pushed out as mandatory setting, meaning "If you enable this policy, websites will appear in the first language in the list that they support unless other site-specific logic is used to determine the display language. The language variants defined in this policy override the languages configured as part of the SpellcheckLanguage policy."

Ok, that is not exactly what we want in our enterprise environment coz all we need is the default language as the SOE to start with and the user should still be able to change that. So, "If you don't configure or disable this policy, Microsoft Edge sends websites the user-specified preferred languages as part of the Accept-Language request HTTP header." sounds like the way to go..

Except when Windows preferred language (display language) is set to English (Australia) after downloading its language pack, Microsoft Edge picked English (United Kingdom) as the top preferred language. What the hack, Microsoft? There is clearly English (Australia) in the Edge language list.

@ccsben 

Does anyone have a simple guide for setting locale/spelling Edge to another language? but also allowing the user to change this? (by registry or policy - we dont want to manually changet his on 1000 computers).

Ive read all the MS guide, and they are not clear, and we are getting different results on our computers. 

Our windows location/language is "English (Ireland)", and we'd like our Edge settings to be "en-GB" as this is the closest thing to what we want.