MS Edge Dev wants to auto download a file on launch

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone. I hope I'm posting in the correct place. Edge Dev notified me yesterday about The Great Suspender being flagged as malware. I disable it and removed it. But now every time I open the browser it wants to auto download a file. When I open "manage downloads", it lists it as a chrome extension. I've tried downloading it and deleting afterwards, hoping that it would no long auto download, but no luck. I also ran CCleaner thinking it would help but it's a dead end too. I'd appreciate any help or advice. This is getting annoying...lol. I'm not even sure if it's connected to me disabling The Great Suspender or if it's coincidence. Thanks in advance. Stay well.

5 Replies
Hi,
just like great suspender extension, CCleaner software also contains malicious components.

for your download issue, please try disabling all of your extensions from here: edge://extensions/

and see if it makes that download prompt stop.

also check your start up settings and make sure it's set to "open a new tab"
edge://settings/onStartup

lastly, perform a full scan of your computer with a good AV such as Windows Defender or Kaspersky.

@HotCakeX Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try your suggestions and post back later.

You're welcome, alright :)

Well, HotCakeX, I feel like such a dodo. I completely forgot that I set an extension, Tab Session Manager, to download a backup at every browser launch...lol. I made the change last night and hadn't adjusted to it yet. Thanks to your advice of disabling all extensions, I was able to figure it out. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably still be stuck in confusion. Thanks again. Stay safe and healthy. 

You're welcome, that's okay, happens to best of us,
you stay safe too and have a good one!