Move profile between account

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Copper Contributor

Hi, MS locked my account due to a serious violation of the agreement (very sad story). 
Now I'm figuring out how to recover my data (mail, onedrive, MCPID, Microsoft TODO, OneNote....).

The locked account was used also to store edge data such favourites, history, password and now I cannot continue to sync data.

There is a way to move my Edge data from my local profile to another local profile so I can start sync again to a new MS Account?

11 Replies
Hi,
what was the violation?

which Edge channel you use?

also you can go here in Edge: edge://version/
"Profile path:" in that page shows the location of your Edge profile.

open the folder, then go to the folder which has the same name as your Edge profile name, it should be "default" if you didn't change it.
in there you find files such as "bookmark", "bookmark.bak" , "Collection" , "Password" etc

copy them to your new Edge profile's folder and replace.

@HotCakeX Hi, my account was locked due "images or videos of terrorist acts or extreme violence were shared from your personal OneDrive account" (2 account locked for this absurd reason and MS taking joke of me and my whole life in that email and onedrive account... nevermind).
I'm using the Dev Channel.
If I copy the files to a new profiles the locked account information remain so edge want to force me to logon. 

In attach an image where the new profile inherit the locked account information.

Are they right though?

the files could be encrypted with your Microsoft account for security reasons. you can try installing Edge on a different machine or virtual machine (without logging into any online account) and then copy the files I mentioned in the previous comment to that machine.

@HotCakeX obviously not. and of course they closed two accounts (without any warning!) without telling me which file was suspicious so I repeated the "error" twice. we are very many in the world with one or more blocked accounts and we are getting organized. I've lost access of my email. I've lost access to my onedrive data, onenote, MCPID History... All the webpage where I use MS Account as Single Sign On...

Regarding Edge I've found a solution. So simple: remove MS Account from Windows Settings, in this way the MS Account un-link from Edge, a Warning ask if you want to keep data locally, select Yes, then logon with a new MS Account. Now it's working.

I'm not gonna judge anything since I didn't review what you shared and neither do i know the full story.
but if you have that problem and you believe 100% it's by mistake then you can contact Microsoft support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us
or call them on phone.

@HotCakeXI appreciate your interest but if you want to understand the extent of the problem and the desperation of some people just take a look at the technet forum:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oaccount-oother/microsoft-account-locked-compl...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=Microsoft%20Account%20Locked&tab=&statu...

This topics tell you that the account locked issue is not simple to resolve.

Honestly I don't believe just whatever I read, so anyone can say anything, truth or lie, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions and this is way too off topic for the Edge community anyway.

I can just suggest that you always have an offline backup of your data, the price of portable storage devices are fairly low these days.
Sounds like someone at Microsoft messed up.

@IamTeaMonsterMergeThis 

@IamTeaMonsterMergeThis wrote:
Sounds like someone at Microsoft messed up.

What do you mean?

@beppigia 

@beppigia wrote:

This topics tell you that the account locked issue is not simple to resolve.

And it's also Not a common thing, not something they take lightly. so when it happens, there must be sufficient reasons and proof for that action.

and yes people use Microsoft services, just like any other services, for all kinds of illegal purposes and of course when someone does something bad, they won't admit it, at least not willingly.

anyway, this is besides the subject of the topic.

the answer is, when an account is blocked, you can no longer access the data, whether it's Edge data or other products'.

Microsoft Verified Best Answer

@IamTeaMonsterMergeThis While we appreciate the concern for others' accounts, this thread is related to personal and private details between the OP and another Microsoft team. Thus, we're going to be locking this thread, as it's gotten off-topic and is not related to Microsoft Edge. We appreciate your understanding!

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge