More data to sync... Less hassle in cross-platform convenience....

Steel Contributor

@Deleted , The more data we can sync between devices and browsers, It would make the experience much better.

1.) sync extension data: Google chrome can sync data of extensions pretty well, and that's a lot of good feature to have on board.

2.) Sync extension keyboard shortcuts: edge://extensions/shortcuts
3.) Sync custom addresses for address bar: edge://settings/searchEngines

It's really exhaustive to set keyboard shortcuts again on different devices because of lack of sync & Anyone would miss custom address bar search engines immediately when using different devices.

5 Replies
Hi,
Edge syncs extension data. I have ublock origin and I use Edge's extension sync to store its data in cloud, such as filters I've enabled, custom websites I have excluded etc.
No, edge doesn't sync extension data, I just tried after your reply, what you are saying is partially correct though, Ublock origin saves data when you manually export and import from the cloud (first of all, it should be automatic, to and fro, that's called 'sync', not manually ). It worked the same way in chrome last time I checked (maybe 1 and half yrs ago)

The other thing, I also tried other extensions, like css stylebot and others, their data wasn't saved. Can you check & report back with other extensions too?? till I wait from the official confirmation from the moderators on the topic.,

Also can you share your thoughts about the other two points? What you think about them and all?
Whether or not ublock origin does it automatic or manual is up to its own developer. he put a checkbox for users to manually click on it and enable sync in his extension.

the other 2 is great

@hussain5416 Thanks for reaching out.

1) We announced this on our What's New page a few weeks ago, so extensions should be syncing. But if you aren't seeing that working successfully, then can you please check the settings on the individual extensions, then submit detailed feedback + diagnostic data through the browser?

fawkes_0-1586800051548.png

2) & 3) Good suggestions! To confirm, what kind of devices are you looking for these to sync across? (Ex., desktop to mobile, desktop to desktop, etc.)

And if you can submit that through the browser too, that would be great. In the meantime, I will also try to check-in with the product team.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

2.) & 3.) Since Extensions & Custom addresses aren't available on android yet, They should meant for sync between desktop to desktop.

BUT since I'm (and so many others) asking for extension support on android platform from a long time, It would be highly appreciated if the sync was available between Desktop to Mobile & Desktop to Desktop.

Everyone loves seamless workflow, and This extension support (on Android) & complete sync of all/most of the items among all the devices could become a keypoint for people to choose Edge over Chrome.

Also, there are so many related threads on this forum too.