more consitent settings for "new tab page"

Iron Contributor

I would prefere it to have the settings for the "new tab page" within the settings menu (edge://settings).

detailed description:
At the moment you find a link to new tab page under "settings" > "new tab page" where you the can change the settings. I think it is more consistent to have it the other way: Please move the real settings controls under "Settings" > "new tab page" and link from "new tab page" to the settings page.
By the way then you can add a link to the search bar settings (for new tab page) under "settings" > "new tab page". So the user can find them faster.

If you also miss or like this feature pleas feel free to comment or giving likes.
(This feature request was also sent via feedback button within Microsoft Edge.)

htcfreek_0-1586783250060.pnghtcfreek_1-1586783275730.png

6 Replies

Hello@htcfreek 

I think they should keep those options on the new tab page because right now when I change the NTP layout, I can see the change instantly and decide which one suits me.

if it was on the settings page, i would have to go back and forth between settings and new tab page just to see what's changed.

that settings page has lots of vacant space but i think they should put other things in there, such as:

"Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page"

(which Edge developers still haven't implemented nor talked about its fate even though they marked it on the top feedback list as "Addressed" by mistake, accident or something else)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-march-31/m-p/1268868

@htcfreek Thanks for the suggestion and for proactively submitting that feedback, it helps the team see it faster. :)

@HotCakeX Regarding the URL customization, I can confirm that the New Tab Page team has reviewed the Top Feedback list and agreed with its designation as "Addressed." Missy and I chatted with them directly, and this is what they asked us to pass along to the community.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Regarding the "custom url for the New Tab Page", I don't undestand what the search setting (you had referenced) has to do with the setting mentioned by @HotCakeX. I also can't find any setting to define custom page which replaces the New Tab Page.

Best regards.

P. S.: The link to the feedaback summary is broken.
If the team says it's correctly addressed, why they don't show us a screenshot to find that option? It's very simple because yes I can and will send another feedback with problem recreation as you said but sharing a screenshot would be more helpful for everyone..
I'm a bit confused

@htcfreek 

me too..I mean I sent a feedback now but it's a one way thing, I don't get answer where I can find that option..I don't see the reason to make it complicated. either sharing a simple screenshot or giving us the link to that option, like this: edge://settings/newTabPage

would solve the problem quickly.

@Deleted:
By the way: If the feauture "Custom URL for New Tab Page" is realy implemented and we (The users in front of the monitor!!) don't find the setting, then this indicates you, that the setting's structure is to complicate.

Best regards.