SOLVED

More accurate tracking protection

Bronze Contributor

It would be nice to have more accurate tracking protection. I can't download extensions on my school laptop, so I rely completely on Microsoft's tracking protection, and I've noticed in the edge task manager that some trackers are running in the background.

Also, in Firefox, there are 'containers' that tabs run in that keep things you do in them separate from your other activity. Facebook is run in one and it keeps all trackers from Facebook from tracking your normal activity. I would like Edge to have something similar, so that Facebook and Google will be unable to track your activity without you actively using their service.

8 Replies
Hi,
The "Strict" mode is not accurate or other Tracking prevention modes?
btw have you tried downloading an extension on another computer and then importing it to your school laptop offline? (if they are only blocking downloads)
or are they blocking extension installations as well?

@HotCakeX They are blocking downloads, and as of right now, I can't sync extensions. 

I didn't know there was a strict mode, thanks for pointing that out, but I still see 3d party processes running(the subframes)trackers.PNG

best response confirmed by cjc2112 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
So you can for example download ublock origin or another adblocker of your choice on another computer, then export its files, copy them to a flash drive, Email them to your school computer etc and then import it offline to your school laptop Edge browser, they won't be able to block that because you're not download anything.
you can do this once every 1 or 2 month to keep your extension up to date :)

@HotCakeX Thank you, I will try this.

Yw, good luck!

@cjc2112 

This portion of your post sort of fell by the wayside...

Also, in Firefox, there are 'containers' that tabs run in that keep things you do in them separate from your other activity. Facebook is run in one and it keeps all trackers from Facebook from tracking your normal activity. I would like Edge to have something similar, so that Facebook and Google will be unable to track your activity without you actively using their service.

This is BY FAR one of the most valuable aspects of using Firefox. For the reasons you mention, plus I can be logged into my Outlook account (for example) and also be logged in and doing maintenance on the account of another family member simply by opening their account in another tab container. Same browser, two tabs, two separate accounts. I use it to keep Amazon, YouTube, my bank, etc. walled off in their own silo that the cannot see out of, and no other tab can see into for info, cookies, etc.

Yeah it's awesome, Firefox 75 which Im using also has container syncing, so you only set up your containers and websites once and it will sync to other devices :)

@cjc2112  i hope this article will can help you "can my employer track my laptop activity"

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cjc2112 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
So you can for example download ublock origin or another adblocker of your choice on another computer, then export its files, copy them to a flash drive, Email them to your school computer etc and then import it offline to your school laptop Edge browser, they won't be able to block that because you're not download anything.
you can do this once every 1 or 2 month to keep your extension up to date :)

View solution in original post