SOLVED

Missing Flag in Canary: upcoming-ui-features

MVP

There are a couple of flags in Edge Canary that need "upcoming-ui-features" flag to be enabled to have effect but when I search through the flags i can't find it.

Version 78.0.250.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

flags that depend on "upcoming-ui-features" flag are:

Omnibox reverse answers

Display answers with rows reversed (swapped); except definitions. Has no effect unless the #upcoming-ui-features flag is Enabled. – Mac, Windows

Omnibox tab switch suggestions

Enable suggestions for switching to open tabs within the Omnibox. Has no effect unless the #upcoming-ui-features flag is Enabled. – Mac, Windows

Omnibox rich entity suggestions

Display entity suggestions using images and an enhanced layout; showing more context and descriptive text about the entity. Has no effect unless the #upcoming-ui-features flag is Enabled. – Mac, Windows

5 Replies
I was reading about the most useful flags to enable and I need #upcoming-ui-features to be enabled first but it's not available. it's kinda funny that's it's missing.

@Elliot Kirk 

Hello, it seems like this bug/problem report was lost down in post feed but it still exists even in the latest Canary Version 78.0.257.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) 

it prevents from using many Edge flags that need the #upcoming-ui-features flag to be enabled first.

Thanks

Annotation 2019-08-27 135930.png

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, @HotCakeX.  I have reached out to the owner of these features / flags.  Thanks - Elliot

Hi @HotCakeX, it took a while but we got to the bottom of this.  The three flags you found are ours for sure.  The flag that they say they were gated on came in from upstream (Chromium) and has since been removed.  The text remained because of a bad merge.  We have a bug to clean that up.  Thank you again for noticing this and bringing it to our attention! - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 

Anytime, and Thank you!
so that means I can go ahead and enable those flags?
because for example when I enable "Omnibox rich entity suggestions", i see no effects on the browser Version 78.0.259.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Omnibox rich entity suggestions is supposed to work like this:

it's supposed to display rich autocomplete suggestions when searching for things like celebrity names or movie titles. but it's not doing it.

Google_Chrome_Omnibox_rich_entity_suggestions-enabled.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, @HotCakeX.  I have reached out to the owner of these features / flags.  Thanks - Elliot

View solution in original post