Microsoft will NOT be pushing out the new Edge via Windows Update to everyone

MVP

So previously there was this post from this source saying Microsoft will be pushing out the new Edge via Windows Update to the majority of Windows 10 users, but the documentation on Microsoft's website has changed now, here are the newly added information:

Update 01/09/2020

To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) to Home and Pro Edition devices running Windows 10 version 1803 via Windows Update. This process will start after January 15th, 2020 and more information will be available on that date.

The Blocker Toolkit is intended for organizations that would like to block automatic delivery of Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) on devices running Windows 10 version 1803 and newer that are running the Home or Pro Edition of Windows. All other versions and Editions of Windows are excluded from being updated automatically. Devices running Windows 10 Home or Pro Edition that are joined to an Active Directory or Azure Active Directory domain, are MDM managed, or are WSUS or WUfB managed, will also be excluded from this automatic update."

No enterprise versions of Windows will be automatically updated, meaning the Blocker Toolkit is just needed if you run Home and Pro on your enterprise network, and if they are not joined to a Domain.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-blocker-toolkit

6 Replies

@HotCakeX  I would guess that "devices running Windows 10 version 1803 and newer that are running the Home or Pro Edition of Windows" not "joined to an Active Directory or Azure Active Directory domain, are MDM managed, or are WSUS or WUfB managed" constitute the vast majority of Windows 10 consumer devices -- probably 90% or better.

I wouldn't read too much into the first sentence ("Microsoft will distribute Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) to Home and Pro Edition devices running Windows 10 version 1803 via Windows Update."). The omission of "or newer" from the sentence is almost certainly a typo and I expect that it will be corrected in normal course. 

A Microsoft employee clarified the purpose of the blog post on Twitter:

Annotation 2020-01-10 194217.png

Enterprise customers do not typically use the consumer-side Home/Pro Windows Update, but tyipically use Windows Update for Business (WUfB), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) instead, depending on the organization and its contract with Microsoft.

As far as I know, it was never Microsoft's intention to automatically update Enterprise Windows devices; to do so would violate Enterprise customer expectations in almost all cases.

I'll be very surprised if a significant number of Enterprise customers deploy EdgeChromium before summer. I know that both of the two Enterprise customers where I still have close contacts plan to wait until then, anyway, and I suspect that will be the case for most.  In an Enterprise environment, a lot of testing and training is done before anything new is deployed.

Their previous post was a bit unclear about that section, so they clarified it in the updated version.

@HotCakeX After installing a stable version of edge I don't have notifications on twitter anymore. the app is downloaded from the Microsoft store. I've tried this on different versions of windows result 1. Notifications do not come after edge is installed. I tried to do the same twitter site as pwa, But it doesn't come either. comes only when the edge is open. does anyone else have such a problem?

There is only 1 thing I can think of and it's that installing Edge stable also replaces the Webview system inside Windows 10, which is basically the browser that UWP apps use to show web contents.
Edge has this problem that it doesn't show notifications when it's closed.

@HotCakeX You may be right, but I think it's a problem. I also tried to install a twitter site in the new edge as pwa. Notifications also don't come if the browser is closed.

It is definitely a problem with Edge insider yes,
Google chrome can show notification when browser is closed