Microsoft Edge - Never remember history

Copper Contributor

The privacy of the new Microsoft Edge needs to be significantly improved.

Despite me checking all the relevant boxes to clear history, and not allowing autofill on the search bar, not only is my history not cleared on closing (which I've selected), but it also means the search bar is filled with old history items.

It even autofills forms in with email addresses etc...

At least Firefox gives you the option of never remembering history, which is another feature that frankly I'm surprised has not been implemented. See the attached as an example.

I've had no problems with the old version of Edge, but this new one seems to be a step backwards in terms of privacy.

12 Replies
Hi,

Which Edge channel/version are you using?

did you use the options in here?
edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose

@HotCakeX 

Yes I did. I'm using Version 79.0.309.71. (the official Chromium version build)

I've selected all the relevant options and yet history still appears on the search tab etc. There was no problem on the previous Edge version.

That said, there should be an option for a "never remember history" like Firefox has. 

It's working for me.

when I choose to delete browsing history on exit from here

after closing/reopening Edge stable, there is no history in here:
edge://history/all
Your problem seems to be about autofill data which is different from history.

try other settings in here:

Autofil

@HotCakeX 

Hi. I know all of this. I've tried all of this.

But my real suggestion is for Edge to have a feature to never remember history. This seems to be ignored. I've already explained that I've done all the relevant options. I know how to do those things.

@HotCakeX 

It's about both. I know they're different. I know about history and autofill and all that. I've tried all the options.

Until Edge sorts itself out and actually has a feature to never remember history, I might just switch over to my Firefox browser in the meantime, because Edge seems to be failing in its own mission statement in its committment to privacy.

@msukfatu 

Spoiler

@msukfatu wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Hi. I know all of this. I've tried all of this.

But my real suggestion is for Edge to have a feature to never remember history. This seems to be ignored. I've already explained that I've done all the relevant options. I know how to do those things.

Okay, I said it because your post wasn't entirely about suggesting a feature but having a problem with Edge

"

Despite me checking all the relevant boxes to clear history, and not allowing autofill on the search bar, not only is my history not cleared on closing (which I've selected), but it also means the search bar is filled with old history items.

It even autofills forms in with email addresses etc...

"

so I said that it is working and tried to find out why it's not working for you.

@msukfatu 

Spoiler

@msukfatu wrote:

@HotCakeX 

It's about both. I know they're different. I know about history and autofill and all that. I've tried all the options.

Until Edge sorts itself out and actually has a feature to never remember history, I might just switch over to my Firefox browser in the meantime, because Edge seems to be failing in its own mission statement in its committment to privacy.

It's okay if you want to use Firefox, many people do, many people use Chrome, many people use Edge. it's all fine my friend

So what I'm getting from your response is that my suggestion doesn't actually matter and it will not even be considered? Because that's what I'm taking away from the tone of your response, which quite frankly is as far from helpful as it can possibly be.

Is there a place I can put in a complaint and actually contact people who would actually listen to my concerns?

@msukfatu 

Spoiler

@msukfatu wrote:
So what I'm getting from your response is that my suggestion doesn't actually matter and it will not even be considered? Because that's what I'm taking away from the tone of your response, which quite frankly is as far from helpful as it can possibly be.

Is there a place I can put in a complaint and actually contact people who would actually listen to my concerns?

I didn't say that, you said that.

what I only did was trying to help and determine what is causing that problem for you that after closing your browser, your data is not deleted like it is deleted for me.

I didn't talk about your suggestion at all, like I said i was only focusing on the "problem" part of your post. you put your suggestion here as well and it's visible for everyone to see, including the developers, but me as a normal user can't do anything about it, so not sure what you expect from me. whether your suggestion matters or not is not my business.

yes there are other ways:

1. use feedback button on browser.

2. use this form: https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

@HotCakeX 

You didn't have to say it. The tone of your message was quite clear, as is this one.

I had already reiterated that I tried all the steps you suggested - Which I mentioned in the first post, so you can imagine having to repeat something and emphasise that I've already done those steps can be a little frustrating.

@msukfatu 

@msukfatu wrote:

@HotCakeX 

You didn't have to say it. The tone of your message was quite clear, as is this one.

I had already reiterated that I tried all the steps you suggested - Which I mentioned in the first post, so you can imagine having to repeat something and emphasise that I've already done those steps can be a little frustrating.

Feel free to use the report button then.

I don't have to defend myself for trying to help someone.