Microsoft Edge is terrible. Please give my computer browser choices back to me!

Copper Contributor

I would really appreciate the option to decide what browser or any update to my computer is.  After all it is mine and everyone has their own personal likings for whatever reason.  To navigate through my favorites or just anything in general with microsoft edge has added 3 or more additional steps.  I don't like the look of it, I don't like how convoluted it is.  It is really an invasion of something that I own.  In the future I will do anything possible not to spend any money to do with microsoft again.

11 Replies

@givemefreedomtochoose , Favorites are accessible with one click, so I couldn't understand, What exact problem are you facing with Microsoft edge?

I could help you. Reply back.

I'm just another loyal user of Edge(not related to the Edge team)

You seem very upset for no reason. If you don't like then don't use. Simple as that.

@givemefreedomtochoose 

You can go to windows settings -> apps -> default apps -> web browser
Select a browser of your choice

@givemefreedomtochoose 

What browser you used?

You could add favorite bars and see all favorites at top and with one click on star icon at top of browser you have access to favorite, how do you want to access favorite , please share your feedback.

You mention, you don't like look and feel, would you mind explain how do you want to see Microsoft Edge looks. Give us some example.

You have freedom to use whatever browser you want, but we want you to have great experience with Microsoft Edge.

There is no web browser option when I do this, Any ideas? @eguif 

Hello @Whitey59
The path I showed works on windows 10
If you are using windows 11
Windows settings -> apps -> default apps -> a list of apps will appear, search for the browser you want by default
You will need to change the .htm, .html, .http and .https extensions
Windows will still insist not to change it, but you click "Change anyway" and then a new list will appear, select the browser you want as default

They made it difficult to change the default app in windows 11

I will give this a try. I am using Windows 10 so is this info still relevant? Thanks.
It is relevant yes. In windows 10 it's supposed to be simple
If not, then there is probably a group policy active that does not allow to change
This is an old post and the Microsoft Edge improved and change a lot.
However, Microsoft never force users to use their browser.
You are free to use any browser you like and you may download and install other browsers without any problem.

What I don't understand is why, if this user is upset, you want to deny him/her those feelings?  What is it to you? Read comment, move on . . . that is the adult this to do.   @Faris-Jayyousi 

Yes. This is obvious. The kicker is that Windows continues to ask you to use Edge to the point of wanting to throw the laptop out the window. No, Edge is not better. I have tried to use Edge for the last 6 months and am now going back to Chrome. Edge is terrible but now I will have to deal with the ongoing Windows messages about Edge being the recommended browser. It is really something I wish Windows would STOP doing!