Microsoft Edge for Windows RT

Copper Contributor

As the topic title says, I wonder if there's any way or any plan the Edge devs could just bring Microsoft Edge (same as they did on Windows 7 and 8.1 despite they're x86 OSes) on Windows RT, as the Surface RT tablet (which I own, but infact it's about all WinRT tablets) is stuck with only IE11 which is a really outdated and buggy browser, that even YouTube and any other sites don't work properly anymore, so therefore browsing on it is a pain in the butt, and it's just storing dust because I can't use it too much.

I'm sorry if this might not be the place to post about this, but I saw similar topics on MS's community forum but none of them have an actual proper answer except saying that they're not supported anymore, but I, to be honest, don't believe that as 8.1's support "normally" would end on 2023, and still they receive updates. So this is why I'm posting here, in order to bring Edge's devs attention into this thing.

And if possible, I'd like this to be forwarded to the ones who made the Edge Browser for 7 and 8.1 (Pro), or atleast to get any possible contact with them or one of them, thank you.

4 Replies

So, the topic is going to waste since no one is bothering to give a reply / some attention to this issue?

There's a difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1. The fact the Windows RT 8.1 is for ARMv7 and Windows 8.1 is for x86 and AMD64. A Windows RT 8.1 version of Microsoft Edge would require a lot of work, as there is no support in the Chromium codebase for ARMv7. The Windows 8.1 version of Microsoft Edge was basically free, with almost no extra work. So the chance of you getting what you want is basically zero.

@Link1J 

There's a difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1. The fact the Windows RT 8.1 is for ARMv7 and Windows 8.1 is for x86 and AMD64.

I knooooow that already, I even clearly mentioned it in the main post if you read it.

A Windows RT 8.1 version of Microsoft Edge would require a lot of work, as there is no support in the Chromium codebase for ARMv7.

As far as I recall, there must be an older version of Windows 10 for ARM32 in their database from where they could get Edge's code and implement it into the newer one, either they could change the actual x86 Edge's (for win7/8.1) libraries and / or its compilation settings, so I don't really think is impossible.

The Windows 8.1 version of Microsoft Edge was basically free, with almost no extra work.

Wait, was Edge ever a paid browser? Also, the "almost no extra work" kinda proves that MS were lazy, doesn't it?

So the chance of you getting what you want is basically zero.

Meh, I anyway could expect such a reply. Although I'm not the only one who owns one of these tablets, think about the other people too (yes I'm also, and mainly, talking to you Edge devs). Internet Explorer is really outdated and buggy / laggy with many websites nowdays, especially these which have more modern UI / advanced CSS then before.

Also, let's not forget MS disallowed / limited before the 3rd party browsers creators's ability to port their browsers to WinRT which could still make them acceptable tablets nowdays, since they're down to basic OS usage and for office, and that's more like it.

That's what we're asking only for, to port Edge to Windows RT aswell as they've done to x86 7 and 8.1 to make them going still, as it's quite a shame they're just being left there unused accumulating dust because of that.

@DZ_Radon I agree with your statement. I have a Surface 2 running Windows RT 8.1 as my main computer, since I only need an office suite and a web browser. Internet Explorer 11 is ok for searching for info, but not much else... and it's quite frustrating not to be able to change that since Windows RT users can't install any other web browser. I personally was quite surprised when I saw no other browsers in the Windows Store. But it would be really nice to browse the web comfortably, because personally IE11 has given me no errors and is quite fast always, the problem is how limited it is because there are many websites that don't load or work at all. Windows RT 8.1 only has extended support currently and until 2023, which means no new features, but at least this way we make them see that there actually are people that want this. It would open a world of possibilities for me to have Edge installed on my Surface 2. You're not alone!