SOLVED

Microsoft Edge falls at first hurdle

Brass Contributor

Microsoft Edge falls at first hurdle, it refuses to open once closed I have to restart my computer everytime I want to use Edge at least the Dev Channels always worked. Now I cant use the software at all and have had to go back to Firefox, which I did not expect.

Any news when this will be fixed, or do you not know about it.

12 Replies
Which channel of Edge are you using?
What OS are you using?

@HotCakeX 

Windows 10 Pro  1909 version 18363.592

I am using the released version of Edge cant give you the version as it wont open.

Thanks, no it's okay I know the version, have you tried reinstalling it? (choose to delete user data during uninstall) ?

@HotCakeX

No I haven,t to be honest, and I dont want to until its fixed as I have too much to lose reinstalling it.

I dont understand how it passed Beta level with this fault. Is beyond me.

You know that not everyone is experiencing this issue, right?
I for one am not having this problem. haven't seen anyone else posting on the forum about this issue too.
so there is a high chance that there is something wrong at your end.

make sure you have all Sync options turned on in the settings:
edge://settings/profiles/sync

so that when you uninstall it, you won't lose anything.
you can keep a list of your installed extension to easily reinstall them.

@Gerry5039 thanks for letting us know. We're sorry to hear that you're encountering issues with MS Edge. I talked to one of our devs, and they suspect there might be an issue with your local task manager, which can be definitively determined by looking in the task manager for "zombies" running in the background. 

And since these roadblocks seem to be with the Stable channel, you can look at some troubleshooting related to restarting and crashes here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023560, and/or reach out to support here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ 

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Gerry5039 

I have found out the issue which is caused when you close Microsoft Edge, on going into Task Manager it shows 10 Microsoft edge listings that did not close properly. Once it reaches that amount it will not open Edge, I have to keep going in and clearing all, 10 listings when this happens, then I can carry on.

When I close the browser it is not clearing in task manager that's where the problem is, does not do it in any other browser.

best response confirmed by Gerry5039 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Trying turning this off:
Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed

in here:
edge://settings/system

and by the way, since 2 months ago that you posted about this, have you tried uninstall/reinstalling it ?

and also turning off your extensions temporarily see if it still happens
edge://extensions/

@HotCakeX 

Good man thank you I will try your recommendations and get back in a few days, many thanks.

Anytime:)

@HotCakeX

You are an absolute star mate it works a treat no more stacking, brilliant 5***** thank you so much.

Glad to hear that, you're welcome, good luck ^^
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gerry5039 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Trying turning this off:
Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed

in here:
edge://settings/system

and by the way, since 2 months ago that you posted about this, have you tried uninstall/reinstalling it ?

and also turning off your extensions temporarily see if it still happens
edge://extensions/

View solution in original post