SOLVED

Microsoft Edge Dev Crashing

Copper Contributor

So I've been using Edge Dev and Edge Canary for the past month or so but Edge Dev currently has an issue (on my PC at least) where when it opens it immediately closes without any error information other than the Windows Error reports in event viewerimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

18 Replies

Hi@KhalidA 

Press Windows key + R and type: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages.

Open the folder labeled Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe (Or something silmilar) and delete all of its content.

Next, click Start and type: powershell and right-click PowerShell and select Run as administrator.

This command will reinstall Microsoft Edge:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

Thank you

Dav,

@DeletedHi Dav my Issue is not with the Normal Microsoft Edge my issue is with Microsoft Edge Dev the Chromium version Microsoft Edge EdgeHTML works fine even canary is working fine

Hi@KhalidA 

I am using Edge Dev for a while have no issues as such. So it seems issue has something to do with your OS.

Have you tried to re-install Edge Dev?

Please use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files?

sfc /scannow

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

Thank you

Dav,

@DeletedHi again Well I took a screenshot of the dump file that is in the crashreports folder have a look at itimage.png

@Deleted I also ran sfc image.png

Hi@KhalidA 

Can I have your OS build please?

Edge Dev version installed on your machine?

I recommend you perform a repair upgrade:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Thank you

Dav,

@Deletedmy OS build number is 17763 but I don't know the Edge Dev version because it immediately crashes

@KhalidA 

Try uninstalling Edge Dev with some cleanup tool, then reinstall again.

See also this thread.

@sambul95 also tried that didn’t work
@Deleted does performing a repair upgrade delete personal files also I don’t see this being possible as it’s a laptop from an OEM I don’t have the installation USB/CD

@KhalidA- I started having this issue today as well where Edge Dev is crashing as soon as I start it. I did have a Windows Insider (Fast) update finish installing this morning. Not sure if related or not. I've tried re-installing Edge Dev, but that did not work.

@Stephan Swinford 

What do the logs say?

best response confirmed by KhalidA (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Stephan Swinford I'm having crashing issues all of sudden now as well. I've been using the canary branch of Edge since it released day one. Not a single issue till now. I've found a way to reproduce what is causing it to crash for me. I have youtube bookmarked in my favorites bar (favorite bar is turned on/set to show), if i go to the address bar and type youtube.com and hit enter Edge crashes instantly. If I remove YouTube from my bookmarks and do the exact same thing it dose not crash. Have no clue why that would be. Same thing with any website that is in my bookmark bar. If its in the bookmarks bar and I type it in the address bar and hit enter edge crashes. I've done a re install, wiped history/cache etc. This didn't start it seems until version 77.0.193.0

Thank you it actually worked

@sean8102 update. Edge updated to 77.0.194.0 and this bug seems to be fixed. No longer crashes if the site is bookmarked and in the bookmark bar. Quick fix, good job Edge team :)

@Deleted 

Morning, buddy!

It worked for me, my case was similar.

Thanks!!

@sean8102 My issue seemed to be a little different since Edge would crash seconds after launching, so I couldn't make changes to favorites. I ended up having to not only uninstall, but also delete the Edge Dev folders from appdata and then reinstalling.

@Stephan Swinford Well What I did was Right Click on its icon on the desktop and use compatibility mode for Windows 8 that seems to temporarily stop the Broswer From Crashing but Sync is not going to work so Since I have so many YouTube Bookmarks I exported the Bookmarks then erased them all you can also Import them later if you want

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KhalidA (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Stephan Swinford I'm having crashing issues all of sudden now as well. I've been using the canary branch of Edge since it released day one. Not a single issue till now. I've found a way to reproduce what is causing it to crash for me. I have youtube bookmarked in my favorites bar (favorite bar is turned on/set to show), if i go to the address bar and type youtube.com and hit enter Edge crashes instantly. If I remove YouTube from my bookmarks and do the exact same thing it dose not crash. Have no clue why that would be. Same thing with any website that is in my bookmark bar. If its in the bookmarks bar and I type it in the address bar and hit enter edge crashes. I've done a re install, wiped history/cache etc. This didn't start it seems until version 77.0.193.0

View solution in original post