Microsoft Edge Browser takes longer to load a WebGL Content compared to other browsers.

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone

Hope you all are doing well.

I have developed a WebGL application & deployed it on the server. The Application loads fast on Firefox & Google Chrome & Safari, but when it comes to Microsoft Edge the WebGL content gets downloaded slow. The MS Edge actually takes nearly 30 seconds to load while Chrome & other browsers take nearly 10 seconds. This happens only the first time.

The time for downloading & loading the WebGL content the subsequent times is 4 to 6 seconds for all the browsers including Microsoft Edge when loaded.

Can anyone let us know the reason behind the difference between the content loading time of Microsoft Edge & that of other browsers? Anyone's help is highly appreciated.

The build size of the WebGL content is 45.4 Mb.

The Compression format is gz.

Data Caching is enabled.

The build is hosted on a server with gz compression required settings done there.

8 Replies
Hi,
interesting observation, if you haven't already, please also send these using the feedback button on Edge to Edge developers.
press Edge's (...) button => Help and feedback => Send feedback

@HotCakeX  I did send the feedback to the Microsoft community using Browser's send feedback button.

But haven't received any response from them yet.

Sending feedback was the right thing you did but please check edge://settings/system and verify if the hardware accelerator is enable.

@Reza_Ameri 

@Reza_Ameri wrote:

Sending feedback was the right thing you did but please check edge://settings/system and verify if the hardware accelerator is enable.

That's not a good idea though, hardware acceleration in Edge causes freeze on my computer and other users I talked to, who have certain GPUs, one of them is Intel.

@pranoy_int 

@pranoy_int wrote:

@HotCakeX  I did send the feedback to the Microsoft community using Browser's send feedback button.

But haven't received any response from them yet.

That's good, they don't reply to every feedback but they will reply to the same email you entered in the feedback window if they have more info to share.

It is hardware dependence, what I experience was slow performance on websites using graphical components especially like 3D Games and enabling Hardware Acceleration improves the speed. I observed some crashes in certain devices like you said and I report them to the manufacturer and they have been fixed by an driver update.
So it's better not to suggest hardware dependent features that can cause crashes.
It is for testing purpose and if there was any crash the user could just turn it off . What I have observed turning this feature on will resolve the performance issue.