Microsoft Edge Beta issue

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am running the latest Microsoft Edge Beta Version 78.0.276.11 (Official build) beta (64-bit). For the past few days I haved noticed that when I launch the browser, the browser is opening with the page or pages I had opened when I last closed the browser, plus the page I have set to open in the browsers startup settings. The following is an example.

The following is a snip of Edge Beta browser containing four tabs (Black Arrows);

Capture2.JPG

I close the above browser by clicking on the Red Arrow in the above..

I open the browser and now it opens with five tabs;

Capture3.JPG

The above shows the browser opening with four tabs (Black Arrows above) I had open prior to me closing the browser, plus a fifth tab (Green Arrow above) which is the page I have set in the browsers startup settings.

The following is the browsers startup settings;

Capture.JPG

I am not sure exactly when this issue started, but has anyone else experienced this issue?

When I close the browser it should close all tabs and when open the browser it should open as per the browsers startup settings.

Thanks

Ray

9 Replies

Hi there,
That's a known bug that I also had experienced at some point when I was on version 78. (now i'm using Canary version 79), unfortunately there was nothing much I could do about it but waiting.

Anyhow, please check a few things to make sure it is indeed that bug and not something else

1. when you close your Edge insider browser window(s), do you still see Edge insider icon on the notification area? (bottom-right corner of the screen) ?
2. do you use any PWA (progressive web apps)? such as pinning a website as an app to the taskbar or start menu and then use it separately?

both of the things I mentioned could be potential reasons for that behavior,
and lastly, try turning off  " Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed"

in here: edge://settings/system

and see if it makes any difference.

thanks

@HotCakeX answers to your questions;

1. I see the edge icon in the show hidden icon pop up window.

2. no I do not use PWA.

I turned off "Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" and it appears to have solved the issue.

That's good then

the reason for the Edge insider Icon appearing on the notification area could be that an extension is preventing it from fully closing when you press the X button on top.

@HotCakeX i wonder why the i started to get the issue in the last few days. I never touched the Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed stting!

But at least it is not happening now.

Thanks

There could be a bug triggering that behavior,
when you right-click on Edge icon in notification area, does it say which extension is keeping it running in the background?

@HotCakeX first let me after I turned off the setting "Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" the Edge Beta Icon was still displayed in the hidden Icon popup window at all times.

When I right clicked on the hidden edge icon i get the following;

Untitled.jpg

Notice the check mark next to "Let Microsoft Edge run in the background.

Norton Safe Web has been running on my PC way before this issue with this browser started.

After my last reply, I went back an checked the edge://settings/system and found the setting  "Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" was turned back on and I didn't turn it on!

With it on now the issue that was happening is no longer happening.

Strange but I guess strange things happen when you are using a Beta App.

Thanks

@raysim52 

@raysim52 wrote:

@HotCakeX first let me after I turned off the setting "Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" the Edge Beta Icon was still displayed in the hidden Icon popup window at all times.

When I right clicked on the hidden edge icon i get the following;

Untitled.jpg

Notice the check mark next to "Let Microsoft Edge run in the background.

Norton Safe Web has been running on my PC way before this issue with this browser started.

Yes, previously I talked to one of the Edge developers here and he said that to prevent what you are experiencing (open tabs coming back), I should either get rid of the extension keeping the Edge open or uncheck the option that lets Edge run in the background.

the way I see it, the best way to keep using that extension and also preventing that behavior from happening is to uncheck option "let Microsoft Edge run in the background"

@raysim52 

@raysim52 wrote:

After my last reply, I went back an checked the edge://settings/system and found the setting  "Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed" was turned back on and I didn't turn it on!

With it on now the issue that was happening is no longer happening.

Strange but I guess strange things happen when you are using a Beta App.

Thanks

Yes you're right,

you're welcome, good to know it's fine for now :)