SOLVED

Microsoft Edge 90.0 confusion

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I've checked for updates today, and after having version 90.0.818.39 (Official build) (64-bit) installed, I noticed a small piece of text under the version info saying that "Update policies are configured but will be ignored because this device isn't domain joined.".

MicrosoftEdge90.png

What does this mean? Does it affect the browser/my browsing - and if so, how?

Thanks for your support,

– Dominik

9 Replies

@dominiktarcsayGetting the same issue here... running the latest "90.0.818.39 (Official build) (64-bit)" version of Edge on Windows 10 Home (64-bit) 20H2, which is updated to the April 2021 patch-level.

Windows 10 Home does not support domain-joining, only workgroups, so it's odd the message would even reference it on that SKU...

(Before anyone replies below... yes, I have already done a "Send Feedback" report from within Edge!)

MicrosoftEdgev90UpdateError.png

best response confirmed by dominiktarcsay (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@dominiktarcsay @dftf-wip 

Hi,

it doesn't affect your experience and browsing at all.

that notice is not new, was in insider channels for a while. it's just an extra piece of information displayed. doesn't matter what edition of Windows you are using (Home/Pro/Enterprise etc.)

the message is clear and means exactly what it says:

"Update policies are configured but will be ignored because this device isn't domain joined."

FYI: configured Edge/update policies can be viewed here: edge://policy/

if your device is not part of a domain, or if you are using a Home edition of Windows, then like the message states, those policies will be ignored.

"that notice is not new, was in insider channels for a while"

Not everyone here runs the Beta or Dev versions. For those of us who only use Stable, then a new message suddenly-appearing can be concerning. If I see "Update policies are configured but will be ignored" my immediate thought is "have I gotten some malware which has adjusted my Edge settings, or added things to the Registry"?

In my view (which I've no-doubt you'll disagree with!) less-is-more: if the policies configured are solely the built-in, default ones, and no changes from those default-policies have been made, then just don't show the message. That's the best way to avoid any-such user confusion or worry!

And I disagree with your assertion of "doesn't matter what edition of Windows you are using". Home does not support joining a Domain, so the error is still wrong on that SKU as it implies that this could be an option. It should at-least say "Update policies are configured but will be ignored because the edition of Windows 10 on this device does not support joining a domain".

Though it would still be easier overall to just now show the message unless any such policies are active, but I'm sure you'll prefer having the message there.

@dftf-wip 

Spoiler

@dftf-wip wrote:
"that notice is not new, was in insider channels for a while"

Not everyone here runs the Beta or Dev versions. For those of us who only use Stable, then a new message suddenly-appearing can be concerning. If I see "Update policies are configured but will be ignored" my immediate thought is "have I gotten some malware which has adjusted my Edge settings, or added things to the Registry"?

In my view (which I've no-doubt you'll disagree with!) less-is-more: if the policies configured are solely the built-in, default ones, and no changes from those default-policies have been made, then just don't show the message. That's the best way to avoid any-such user confusion or worry!

And I disagree with your assertion of "doesn't matter what edition of Windows you are using". Home does not support joining a Domain, so the error is still wrong on that SKU as it implies that this could be an option. It should at-least say "Update policies are configured but will be ignored because the edition of Windows 10 on this device does not support joining a domain".

Though it would still be easier overall to just now show the message unless any such policies are active, but I'm sure you'll prefer having the message there.

I know not everyone uses insider channels, I mentioned it as a reference.

there is nothing to disagree with, I'm just telling you the fact that Edge shows that message regardless of your Windows edition.

the message is clear for people who know what domains are policies are, for those who don't know, it's just a text, an extra piece of information in the update page, with no connection to "malware" or "virus" at all, whatsoever, so regular users ignore it.

if everyone who didn't know what every text in ever program meant, and thought it's a virus, then nobody would use any program out of paranoia.

@HotCakeX"I'm just telling you the fact that Edge shows that message regardless of your Windows edition"

Thanks, but why not just leave it for one of the officials to reply?  As you don't work for Microsoft, I'm not sure why you always seem to be so proactive in replying on here...

"the message is clear for people who know what domains are policies are"

Which won't be something like 99% of the average Windows home-user population.  Even many small-businesses likely don't use GPOs.  InTune (aka Company Portal) perhaps, via a M365 subscription, but are unlikely to be using a domain if they only have something like 5-10 PCs.

"It's just [...] an extra piece of information [...], with no connection to "malware" or "virus" at all, whatsoever, so regular users ignore it."

I still think it's uncessary.  And many browser hijacks or Windows viruses or malware often do set policies on machines to do things like restrict the use of Task Manager, or force your browser's homepage or search-provider to a specific domain.  So users who are more IT-savvy, but still not IT Pros, may-well look at that message and think "why is it mentioning policies being configured when I haven't done any" and a logical conclusion (given Windows' history!) is it may be malware-related.

The easiest way to avoid any such confusion whatsoever is simply only show the message when policies have been configured.

@dftf-wip

Spoiler

@dftf-wip wrote:

@HotCakeX"I'm just telling you the fact that Edge shows that message regardless of your Windows edition"

Thanks, but why not just leave it for one of the officials to reply?  As you don't work for Microsoft, I'm not sure why you always seem to be so proactive in replying on here...

"the message is clear for people who know what domains are policies are"

Which won't be something like 99% of the average Windows home-user population.  Even many small-businesses likely don't use GPOs.  InTune (aka Company Portal) perhaps, via a M365 subscription, but are unlikely to be using a domain if they only have something like 5-10 PCs.

"It's just [...] an extra piece of information [...], with no connection to "malware" or "virus" at all, whatsoever, so regular users ignore it."

I still think it's uncessary.  And many browser hijacks or Windows viruses or malware often do set policies on machines to do things like restrict the use of Task Manager, or force your browser's homepage or search-provider to a specific domain.  So users who are more IT-savvy, but still not IT Pros, may-well look at that message and think "why is it mentioning policies being configured when I haven't done any" and a logical conclusion (given Windows' history!) is it may be malware-related.

The easiest way to avoid any such confusion whatsoever is simply only show the message when policies have been configured.

I never claimed to be working for Microsoft nor did I say anything about not leaving anything open.

you thought it's malware so you asked in the community and they told you it's not.

so can't talk on behalf of others. if you wanna do it then I can say 99.99% of people think it's normal and ignore it.

it's in the updates page and an extra piece of information, if it's not necessary for you, you can ignore it. doesn't mean it shouldn't be displayed for everyone else.

there are many things you don't know about, so you can either learn about them or ignore them.

The easiest way to avoid any such confusion whatsoever is simply ignoring it or learn about it so it won't be a confusion anymore. that's how life works.

Thank you both for helping me understand the meaning of this new piece of information. I registered and posted on here because I couldn't find any reliable information of this specific part of the update by the time I posted.

As a web-designer with 6 years of experience, I don't find this text informative for the basic user. I would've at least put a small "Info" icon next to it, to find out that it's harmless and has no effect on my browsing or the browser itself, then move on.

This is my personal take on the matter, but I do think that most users would appreciate a more casual explanation and detail about this text, if the devs at MS Edge already decided to put it there. It doesn't take much effort to add "This does not affect your browsing, the aliens won't come, don't worry mate.".

@HotCakeX wrote:
Spoiler
Edge shows that message regardless of your Windows edition.

@HotCakeX 

I don't see this message on any channel, so there's probably an experiment underway to see what reaction different ways of passing this message get. It may be significant that I do have a few policies active, which makes mine a managed installation. This changes some things in the UI. This is from Stable:

EA-about-policy.png

Hi, I think you are seeing a different thing because like you said you have active policies, hence the lock icon, but for those that don't have active policies, the message says that there are policies, just not active. really just an extra information.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dominiktarcsay (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@dominiktarcsay @dftf-wip 

Hi,

it doesn't affect your experience and browsing at all.

that notice is not new, was in insider channels for a while. it's just an extra piece of information displayed. doesn't matter what edition of Windows you are using (Home/Pro/Enterprise etc.)

the message is clear and means exactly what it says:

"Update policies are configured but will be ignored because this device isn't domain joined."

FYI: configured Edge/update policies can be viewed here: edge://policy/

if your device is not part of a domain, or if you are using a Home edition of Windows, then like the message states, those policies will be ignored.

View solution in original post