SOLVED

Memory Usage Comparison - Test #3 (Video)

Deleted
Not applicable

Sem título.jpg

In this third test, I decided to record a video, so you can better analyze the behavior of each browser.
I'm not a good video editor, so I'll try to explain how the test ran:
- I opened the browsers separately. First Edge Chromium Canary, then Chrome Canary and then Official Chrome;
- I added 5 pages in each browser. Then I closed and reopened each browser to check the amount of memory used at startup. (In the case of Edge Chromium I scrolled Task Manager to see if there were more separate browser processes, which happens sometimes, but as you can see in the video there was only one process);
- After that I clicked on each tab to update their content and recheck memory consumption;
- Then I added 5 more pages and repeated the previous steps for each browser. I did it twice more, adding 5 more pages and again 5 more pages. Then you will be able to see in the video the memory consumption of each browser with 5, 10, 15 and 20 tabs, both at the time of launch of each browser and after each tab has been clicked to have its content updated;
- On the last added page I performed a video conversion process on each browser, which takes a few minutes, but that time was useful for analyzing the variation in memory consumption of each browser after a few minutes. Of course, it would be better to analyze this over several hours, but that would be unfeasible for this video.
- The video has a watermark. But it does not interfere much with the visualization of the images.

Edge Canary Version 79.0.283.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Chrome Canary Version 79.0.3922.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)

Chrome "Official" Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Watch the video and get your own conclusions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYAmNJ2QYU&feature=youtu.be

2 Replies
best response
Solution

@Deleted, thank you for setting this up, it is very interesting.  I have forwarded this link, plus the others you have posted on this topic to our performance team so that they can read them.  If there are specifics that you would like the performance team to focus on, please let us know.  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 

Thanks. We know you guys are doing your best and Edge is becoming better every day.

Taking the opportunity to respond to your comment in this other post ( Memory Usage Comparison (Edge Canary vs Google Chrome) )  :

@Elliot Kirk wrote:

Hi @Deleted, it looks like Chrome is delay loading content until the tab has been made active to save on memory usage, but also possibly using more because of it.  What behaviors would you prefer?  Thanks - Elliot

Well, really the memory usage in Chrome in the tests I did look like that "short blanket" story: if you cover your head then you uncover your feet and vice-versa... lol... Can we have the best of both worlds in Edge?

In time, in the tests I did I tried to be as unbiased as possible, but they are tests by a user and not by specialized websites, which follow very strict rules and can offer much more reliable results.

Anyway, I feel honored if the tests I did are useful to all of you developing the new Edge.

Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@Deleted, thank you for setting this up, it is very interesting.  I have forwarded this link, plus the others you have posted on this topic to our performance team so that they can read them.  If there are specifics that you would like the performance team to focus on, please let us know.  Thanks - Elliot

View solution in original post