Memory Usage Comparison (Edge Canary vs Google Chrome)

Deleted
Not applicable

PhotoGrid_1569082620776(1).jpg

Edge Chromium Canary: Version 79.0.280.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
Google Chrome: Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Using the same 10 address pages

:flushed:(Sorry for posting this again,

I made a change to the previous post and ended up messing it up) :flushed:

a) First screenshots just after opening the browsers
b) Other screenshots just after clicking each tab to refresh them
c) Browsers Task Managers to comparison side-by-side

a)

a.fw.png

Edge:
b.fw.png

Chrome:

c.fw.png

b)

a2.fw.png

Edge:

b2.fw.png

Chrome:

c2.fw.png

c)

dfw.fw.png

6 Replies

Hi @Deleted, it looks like Chrome is delay loading content until the tab has been made active to save on memory usage, but also possibly using more because of it.  What behaviors would you prefer?  Thanks - Elliot

Hi! 

This  is my figures. And it is not comparison between browsers but only canary Edge previous and current builds.

Two tabs only (main pages, without login):

• soundcloud
  • feedly

Extensions:

• Ghostery 
  • AdGuard AdBlocker
  • uBlock Origin

Current Version 79.0.313.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit):

Annotation 2019-10-24 104545.png

Previous build:

Annotation 2019-10-20 135518.png

Some earlier builds even with 5-7 tabs showed 400-600 MB. May be better to stick with vanilla Edge canary when memory usage was 200-400 MB :smile:?

Best regards,

Joshua

@Elliot Kirk wrote:

Hi @Deleted, it looks like Chrome is delay loading content until the tab has been made active to save on memory usage, but also possibly using more because of it.  What behaviors would you prefer?  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk Browser should not loads tabs until tab has been made active; This behavior was one of reasons to stop using Edge HTML in many years ago for me, and sadly this issue still exist in Edge Chromium(Beta)

@Behzad_A I think this feature has been introduced even in Chrome not so long ago:

Annotation 2019-10-24 170257.png

And concerning my post above, this is my new values (same two tabs/same extensions):

Annotation 2019-10-24 144837.png

@Joshua1605 wrote:

@Behzad_A I think this feature has been introduced even in Chrome not so long ago:

Annotation 2019-10-24 170257.png

@Joshua1605  I think you showed Flag is about JavaScript.

For reproduce raised issue, first open some sites+NewTabPage (Let them stay open) and when NewTabPage is selected close the browser and after that reopen the browser; And for see the difference, repeat this trial with Google Chrome or Firefox.

I'm on beta channel and i don't know this issue still exist on Canary or Dev builds or this issue is solved in them.

@Behzad_A Tab Freeze is all about memory. You can read here and here.