Media autoplay blocking

Iron Contributor

Unless I'm missing something (and at my age that's a real possibilty), media autoplay blocking still doesn't work.

If it does work, please let me know what needs to happen other than enabling the flag and setting the autoplay option to block.

Thanks!

10 Replies
Hi,
you're right, it doesn't work, at least not on all websites, even when you set it to block,
it's something that will be fixed in December according to the top feedback list
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-december-1/m-p/1945686

Media autoplay blocking is working for me in canary for some sites that previously were not blocked effectively.

I use canary Version 89.0.739.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) on four different systems, all on Windows 20H2 OS Build 29042.685. So far it has only been consistent on one system. It may be in controlled feature rollout (A/B testing), there may be a difference in settings between the systems (I try to keep them the same) or maybe something has changed on the sites themselves.

This is a valued feature for us and I hope this is an indication that we will see an implementation rolled out soon.

That's very good!
did you set it to block or limited in edge://settings/content/mediaAutoplay ?

@HotCakeX I set edge://settings/content/mediaAutoplay to Block after enabling Show block option in autoplay settings on edge://flags. 

It's working great so far, haven't come across any website that plays video yet.
although on YouTube and some other websites, it doesn't block video preloading, something which i think, is also importnat, as it consumes bandwidth on the background.
if they addd another option for video preloading blocking, that would be awesome, what do you think?

@HotCakeX It still only blocks on one of my four systems, even after the update today. But on that one system it seems to be consistent on even the persistent sites. Hopefully I will see this working on all four systems soon.

An option to stop pre-loading would be a good idea.

The blocking is working on all four systems now. I observe one odd interaction on one website. On that site, if I had the uBlock Origin extension enabled, blocking did not work. When I disable or uninstall the uBlock Origin extension, blocking works for that site. Since the built-in ad protection in Edge handles most ads, I have uninstalled the uBlock Origin extension for now.

Hopefully this feature to block media autoplay will be complete soon in Canary and Dev. Some people around me will be pleased when this eventually makes it to Stable.

It was a very short-lived experiment to use only Edge ad blocking. The "intrusive or misleading ads" portion of "Block on sites that show intrusive or misleading ads (recommended)" let too many ads that feel intrusive to me through the ad blocking.

The interaction between uBlock Origin and the blocking of media autoplay function seems strange. I have left uBlock Origin turned off on the affected website. It might be possible to adjust things in uBlock Origin to avoid the conflict, but I would prefer to have the Edge ad blocking have an option to choose to block more ads. This feature is already in Edge on Android in the Content Blockers setting under advanced settings, where "Allow acceptable ads" to be turned off. 

@ms4132 

@ms4132 wrote:

The blocking is working on all four systems now. I observe one odd interaction on one website. On that site, if I had the uBlock Origin extension enabled, blocking did not work. When I disable or uninstall the uBlock Origin extension, blocking works for that site. Since the built-in ad protection in Edge handles most ads, I have uninstalled the uBlock Origin extension for now.

Hopefully this feature to block media autoplay will be complete soon in Canary and Dev. Some people around me will be pleased when this eventually makes it to Stable.

Tracking prevention is good but ublock origin is on a whole different level.

never mind that, I realized you are talking about this: edge://settings/content/ads

i thought you were talking about tracking prevention, because in some cases it can block some ads too when set to strict.

i don't know what kind of filtering or domain list that feature uses, but it's been pretty useless for me.

haven't seen a single ad being blocked by it. it's a pretty generic feature, Chrome has it too. I haven't seen Microsoft talk about it at all, like as a distinct feature of Edge to promote or highlight.

it's always been there

@ms4132 

@ms4132 wrote:

It was a very short-lived experiment to use only Edge ad blocking. The "intrusive or misleading ads" portion of "Block on sites that show intrusive or misleading ads (recommended)" let too many ads that feel intrusive to me through the ad blocking.

The interaction between uBlock Origin and the blocking of media autoplay function seems strange. I have left uBlock Origin turned off on the affected website. It might be possible to adjust things in uBlock Origin to avoid the conflict, but I would prefer to have the Edge ad blocking have an option to choose to block more ads. This feature is already in Edge on Android in the Content Blockers setting under advanced settings, where "Allow acceptable ads" to be turned off. 

Yeah there is really no acceptable ads, only ads that advertising companies paid for to "adblock plus" to let them come through.

ublock origin doesn't do that and it'd be great if ublock origin was in Edge mobile instead of adblock plus.

but I see you're talking about this: edge://settings/content/ads

I've never seen that feature block anything lol

it's by default set to block as it's recommended, and still when ublock origin is not running, the web is so wild full of all kinds of stuff.

I think it's different than adblock plus in Edge mobile, I can't seem to find any documents saying that Edge desktop also has adblock plus in it.