Manifest V3: Web Request Changes

Brass Contributor

So, Google plan to introduce manifest v3 that limit extensions blocking capability by removing webRequest API and replacing it with super limited declarativeNetRequest.

Please, please don't remove/change/limit this API. If microsoft truly listen to it's user and many extensions developer complaining this changes.

I have good faith microsoft will listen, this is also good opportunity for microsoft, more user for their new chromium based browser.

Related discussions:

1. https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=896897
  2. https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-extensions/veJy9uAwS00
  3. https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/338
  4. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20044430
  5. All reddit threads (to many can't list here).

38 Replies

@zmni Edge will be a Chromium based browser, so it's better to expect every engine change to reflect on Edge as well. I guess there's no way that Microsoft would fork away from Chromium.

@cbomtempo If they are capable of removing, replacing and disabling stuff from chromium and adding lots of new features/services to Edge, I am sure it is very easy for them to create set of patches to skip/undo this API changes. The problem is whether they really want to do it or not.

I hope the Msedge team can convey an official statement about this.

@zmni I agree with you, but that's a core feature that if Microsoft move to a different direction than Chrome would break the extensions compatibility. But on the other hand it could make users switch to Edge because it would have "better" extensions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@zmni 

I strongly agree with this. If the Manifest V3 change also comes to Chromium Edge and kills the functions that allow for add-ons like Ublock Origin then its a non starter for me. Which would be sad because I have been impressed so far with the new Edge (still kinda ugly like chrome and missing important features, but hopeful)

Agreed. As much as I like Edge and Chromium Edge, without uBlock or something similar, I'd have to switch over to Firefox. @zmni 

This recent digging in of Google in regards to Manifest V3 has me equally concerned.

I switched from Firefox to Edge Insider and absolutely love it, but if I an expect to lose functionality in the future I might as well switch back.

Everyone is saying since this will be baked into Chromium you can expect it to roll out to everyone unless there is a distinct fork which increases work to implement new versions. I'd assume with Microsoft switching to Chromium Edge to remove the need to maintain the codebase they'd be unlikely to want to do the same. If I was a manager I'd begrudgingly accept the Manifest V3 changes into my product as the value to cost of losing some power users would likely be much less a hit than the increased workload on my developers.

@zmni wrote:

Please, please don't remove/change/limit this API. If microsoft truly listen to it's user and many extensions developer complaining this changes.

Edge team has already removed a number of useful Chromium features, including apps support. They claimed Google at some point intended to discontinue apps support. Despite Google said lately they will maintain such support.

So I think the chance is slim they would maintain the engine fork, it contradicts purpose of moving to Chromium. Equally important, may be MS expects a share of ads revenue in exchange for contributing to Chromium project? :face_with_tears_of_joy:

Announcements like this should be in line with web standards. Numerous webpage ads threaten internet usability. Browser developers don't own the web, they merely provide tools to access the web, and should not be allowed by the user community and web standards to make the web a superprofit place while neglecting user needs.

@zmni the new limited webrequest API would be a no-gamer for the new Edge for me. This is Microsofts chance to get users from Chrome to the new Edge.

Chrome Enterprise will support the current webrequest API with full features like Google announced.

Chromium Browsers like Brave already announced to continue to fully support the API: https://twitter.com/BrendanEich/status/1133767653472923648

@sambul95 

They did add ad-blocking to edge on android which isn't naively supported so you never know. Makes sense that they could possibly stay with the mainline and include the "paid enterprise" features as default here.

@Broadband 

May be you right, but we are not accounting for Google & MS contract here. What is allowed to minor Cent browser, will not be permitted to Edge, since it may really threaten Google dominance. On the other hand, if MS keeps sticking to Bing as default New Tab search with no alternatives, and won't allow to use Google Translate service as a choice option, it may slow Edge adaptation by users.

..What?

As far as I know, there is no contract. Microsoft is simply forking an open-source project that currently gets a majority of funding and support from Google.
Interesting that this is one of a few threads that a Microsoft employee didn't write a single word about a requested feature...

@xylobol 

Were did you see in real world one hugely profitable corporation "simply forking" a fundamental long term investment of another huge corporation? Are you expecting them to show you the contract copy? ;)

From what i have read I don't think they would have to fork Chromium to stay on Manifest v2, Brave will be doing that and I don't think they forked chromium. I could be wrong, but the folks over at Thurrot.com seemed to say that Microsoft wont have to adapt to V3 if they don't want to. (paywall link) https://www.thurrott.com/paul/207692/ask-paul-may-31      @zmni 

@GilesBrule

Out of curiousity, what do you think makes Chrome and the new Edge ugly? I don't have any ulteriror thoughts before you say anything.

@Broadband

UM. EXCUSE ME? adblock users aren't "power users". I hate that term. I for one am just a tech enthusiast. I'm not an "IT Pro" or a developer.

@sambul95

Why would they use Google Translate and Google Search? That would remove the whole purpose of the browser. I don't think they can use Google Translate like that anyway.

I feel like everyone is forgetting that Microsoft also has ads.

@GilesBrule 

Microsoft wouldn't be alone.

https://vivaldi.com/de/blog/chromium-ad-blockers-choice/

I hope to go and follow others.

@pneenkoalabear 

Its just ascetics and personal preference. For example I was never a fan of the odd shaped tabs in Chrome and when they redesigned them I was so bummed they did not go with straight lines like old Edge and Firefox. I don't think they stand out as much as they should and just create more screen clutter. Also in Chrome (and many parts of new Edge) everything is faded or dusty looking, in old edge blacks are darker, white pop more and lines are crisper. I think even text looks different, in chrome and new edge its all a little bit lighter and less pronounced. Again this is a ascetic preference but I really like the way old edge looks and feels.

@GilesBrule 

Edge is still relatively young and under development. To criticize now is wrong. Other browsers took years and Edge is supposed to make it in 6 months, that's not possible.

This Edge is based on Chromium which has been around for a long time. Edge Spartan has been around for around 4 years. All Edge has done aesthetically is tweak Chromium. They haven't redone text rendering. It's totally possible to make it in 6 months.