SOLVED

Look at your Search Engine settings... are you using the new 'Google-Bing' search engine? lol

Deleted
Not applicable

That's weird!  

Although I chose Google, Edge is using Bing to do web searches.

*Version 78.0.245.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Untitdsfled-1.fw.png

27 Replies

@Deleted I have the same issue on Chromium Edge for both Mac and Windows, even when you go to the search bar and type google - tab - fill in search query, it refers to Bing. Despite that I have removed every single Search engine but Google, it keeps on going back to bing.

Aug-21-2019 10-25-47.gif

Which Edge channel are you using? version?

@Deleted 

I've tried to use your base-url, but Chromium Edge does not seem to like the word google anymore, it even automatically replaces it with bing.com

Aug-21-2019 10-30-59.gif

@HotCakeX 

The latest canary version of Edge (Version 78.0.245.0 (Official build) Canary(64-bit))

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 10.33.03.png

But latest Canary is: Version 78.0.250.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

@HotCakeX You would assume that they are both on Mac and Windows launched at the same time, but I guess that is not the case here right now as there are no updates for any of my Microsoft products available atm.

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 10.46.41.png

Well if that's the case then all you have to do is to wait. your Canary version is 2 builds behind the Windows version.

@bmanfranssen I am having the same problem.  I am all about embracing technology, but not into being forced to use a specific search engine.  

I just got this notification from the Office 365 Message Centre ... I guess I will have to carry on using Google Chrome:

Beginning with Version 2002 of Office 365 ProPlus, Microsoft will install a browser extension that makes Bing the default search engine for Google Chrome, providing the benefits of Microsoft Search in the browser to those end users.

• This browser extension is scheduled to be available in Monthly Channel (Targeted) in February 2020.
  • It is expected to be released to Monthly Channel in early March 2020.
  • It will be included in the upcoming releases for Semi-Channel (Targeted) and Semi-Annual Channel.

This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 59917.

Note: This change only applies to devices in certain locations, based on the IP address of the device. At this time, countries include Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India, the United Kingdom, and the United States. As we add locations, we will notify you through Message Center.

[How does this affect me?]

New installations of Office 365 ProPlus will include this extension. When you update your existing installation of Office 365 ProPlus, the extension is included unless Bing is already the default search engine in your tenant. The extension sets Bing as the default search engine by default; users may turn it off via the extension toggle.

As part of Microsoft 365, Microsoft Search is on by default for all Microsoft apps that support it. Microsoft Search provides contextual work-related information using data sources in Office 365, including SharePoint, Microsoft OneDrive for Business, and Exchange.

With Bing as the default search vehicle for Google Chrome, those users will be able to access Microsoft Search directly from their browser address bar when they are signed in with their work or school account. This browser access to work-related search is known as Microsoft Search in Bing.

The first time your users open Google Chrome after the extension for Microsoft Search in Bing is installed, they will see a Welcome screen:

Mockup of a Welcome screen in Chrome browsers (subject to change).

Your end users may disable the extension by

1. Clicking its icon to the right of the URL bar;
  2. Then toggling off Use Bing as your default search engine; and
  3. Restarting the browser.

Mockup of the search toggle in Chrome browsers (subject to change).

Once this feature has rolled out, your end users can change their search engine preferences only via the toggle in the extension; they cannot modify the default search engine in browser preferences.

Although this feature is rolling out initially for Google Chrome, support for Firefox is planned. We will advise you of updates in a future Message Center post.

Microsoft Search does not use searches in your organization to improve public web results or to improve Bing, and Microsoft Search does not let advertisers target anyone within your organization.

[What do I need to do to prepare for this change?]

If you don’t want Bing to be the default search engine for Google Chrome, there are several ways to block the installation.

You must exclude the extension before you install or update to a version of Office 365 ProPlus that installs the extension for Microsoft Search in Bing. Implementing the exclusion after the extension has been installed will not remove the extension. 

If you have already made Bing the default search engine for your tenant, the extension will not be installed, and your end users will not be able to change the default search engine.