Linux Support?

Copper Contributor

Is there any plans/roadmap to release edge canary,beta,stable for linux version?

Just asking because some of my opensource project have stalled. If there are no plans atm let me know so I can release update for edge dev channel only.

PR: https://github.com/shirshak55/edge-paths/pull/6

Thanks

8 Replies

It's definitely not going to stay in Dev channel forever, though there is no mention of it in roadmap

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Edge

@shirshak55    Microsoft has announced nothing about a timetable for moving from Dev to Stable, or for that matter, about a timetable for Edge-Linux feature development, period.   

The Dev version is very basic at this point, stable enough but essentially bling as opposed to a tool for getting work done -- for example, MSA sign-in is unavailable and nothing syncs.   

I'm thinking several months rather than several weeks, but that might be nothing more than my frustration speaking.

Please note that neither the previous comment nor this comment are from Edge Team members or Microsoft employees.  Both are speculation by forum members not involved in the project; neither comment is a response from Microsoft or should be taken as such.

@tomscharbach 

it's not a speculation when I said there is no mention of it in the road map

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Edge

plus, no one claimed to be from Microsoft team members, you're the only one talking about it, which is weird.

@HotCakeX "[P]lus, no one claimed to be from Microsoft team members, you're the only one talking about it, which is weird."

The observation was prompted by @shirshak55 's posting this comment on Github, posted after your comment on this thread and before I commented:

Github Comment.jpg

Because shirshank55 was using this thread as authority for a decision concerning the Github project, I thought it appropriate to let him/her/they and others involved in that project know that neither you nor I speak for Microsoft. 

I did not mean to ruffle your feathers.  My observation was an attempt (however weird) to avoid misunderstanding or misinterpretation of your comments and/or mine.  Please feel free to report my  comment to the moderators if you think it inappropriate.

@HotCakeX "[I]t's not a speculation when I said there is no mention of it in the road map

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Edge"

True.  But it also doesn't answer @shirshak55 's question.  The roadmap doesn't mention anything about Edge-Linux development.  It provides no information whatsoever about Microsoft's timetable for Edge-Linux development or when a Stable version might be forthcoming.  The roadmap, in terms of the question asked, is non-information that could easily be misinterpreted as meaningful information.

Don't worry, this project is absolutely useless

@tomscharbach 

OP asked if there is a roadmap about Linux for other channels and i said no there isn't. it answers the question and it is important information.

@tomscharbach 

Spoiler

@tomscharbach wrote:

@HotCakeX "[P]lus, no one claimed to be from Microsoft team members, you're the only one talking about it, which is weird."

The observation was prompted by @shirshak55 's posting this comment on Github, posted after your comment on this thread and before I commented:

Github Comment.jpg

Because shirshank55 was using this thread as authority for a decision concerning the Github project, I thought it appropriate to let him/her/they and others involved in that project know that neither you nor I speak for Microsoft. 

I did not mean to ruffle your feathers.  My observation was an attempt (however weird) to avoid misunderstanding or misinterpretation of your comments and/or mine.  Please feel free to report my  comment to the moderators if you think it inappropriate.

it is weird because next to my username and in my profile says contributor not Microsoft Employee.

you didn't ruffle my feathers, actually made me laugh a little because of how you thought, because no one was misunderstood about anything, other than you

either way, OP was asking for a roadmap and there isn't any for Linux.